Burnt Offerings (album)
|Studio album by Iced Earth|
|Released||April 18, 1995|
|Recorded||Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida|
|Producer||Tom Morris and Jon Schaffer|
|Iced Earth chronology|
2001 reissue cover
Burnt Offerings is the third studio album by American thrash metal band Iced Earth. Released on April 18, 1995, it was the group's first album since 1991's Night of the Stormrider, after which the band took a three-year layoff. During this time they recruited drummer Rodney Beasley and singer Matthew Barlow, replacing Rick Secchiari and John Greely, respectively.
Burnt Offerings has been described as the Iced Earth's heaviest and darkest record. Rhythm guitarist and main songwriter Jon Schaffer has said that the heaviness of the songs were a result of his frustration with the music industry. Schaffer's frustration is particularly evident in the title track, which talks about the problems the band had to endure during its downtime.
The album is also notable for including one of the longest songs Iced Earth has ever recorded; "Dante's Inferno". Clocking in at 16 minutes and 26 seconds, "Dante's Inferno" is based on the Inferno -segment of Dante Alighieri's epic poem, the Divine Comedy. The album starts with a spoken line from Bram Stoker's Dracula. The album's original cover art was also a painting by Gustave Doré, of Lucifer from the Divine Comedy.
|1.||"Burnt Offerings"||Jon Schaffer||Schaffer, Randall Shawver||7:22|
|3.||"Diary"||Matt Barlow||Dave Abell, Schaffer, Shawver||6:14|
|5.||"Burning Oasis"||Schaffer||Abell, Schaffer, Shawver||6:00|
|6.||"Creator Failure"||Schaffer||Abell, Schaffer, Shawver||6:02|
|7.||"The Pierced Spirit"||Schaffer||Abell, Shawver||1:54|
On the original CD, released in 1995, "Dante's Inferno" was divided into three parts. On subsequent re-releases since then, the song has been listed as one track.
2008 Slave to the Dark Bonus Disc
|1.||"Burnt Offerings" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Schaffer, Shawver||7:13|
|2.||"Last December" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Schaffer||3:25|
|3.||"Diary" (rough mix)||Barlow||Abell, Schaffer, Shawver||6:17|
|4.||"Brainwashed" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Schaffer, Shawver||5:26|
|5.||"Burning Oasis" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Abell, Schaffer, Shawver||6:06|
|6.||"Creator Failure" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Abell, Schaffer, Shawver||6:06|
|7.||"The Pierced Spirit" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Abell, Shawver||1:57|
|8.||"Dante's Inferno" (rough mix)||Schaffer||Schaffer||16:22|
- "Burnt Offerings". Icedearth.com. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Burnt Offerings review". Metal Storm. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Burnt Offerings review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "Burnt Offerings at Amazon.com". Amazon.com. Archived from the original on 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Jon Schaffer interview from 1996". 1996-12-08. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- "Iced Earth re-record "Dante's Inferno" and give it away for free | The Official Iced Earth Website". Icedearth.com. 2011-09-05. Archived from the original on 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Burnt Offerings at Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- Burnt Offerings album credits. Century Media. 2001.