But It's Better If You Do
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"But It's Better If You Do"|
|Single by Panic! at the Disco|
|from the album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out|
|Released||May 16, 2006|
|Recorded||Dang! Studios (Lewisville, Texas)|
|Panic! at the Disco singles chronology|
"But It's Better If You Do" is a song by American rock band Panic! at the Disco, released on May 16, 2006 as the third single from their debut album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (2005). Taking its title from a quote said by Natalie Portman's character in the 2004 film Closer, the song was written by band members Ryan Ross, Brendon Urie and Spencer Smith, and is about being in and not enjoying the location of a strip club. "But It's Better If You Do" failed to recreate the success the previous single "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" had in the United States but found chart prominence in Europe and Oceania, peaking at number 10 in New Zealand, number 15 in Australia and number 23 in the UK. The accompanying music video for the song, directed by Shane Drake, features the band performing at a masquerade-style strip club.
"It's a song about being in a strip club but not actually liking being in there. So I wanted it to be about the sort of complex inner-monologue," he said. "It's not completely fiction, though. It's based on a scenario when I was going through a breakup with a girl. Because in reality, I don't like strip clubs. I think they're kinda perverted", says Ryan Ross. Ross went on to say, "When I wrote it, I never thought about it being played in strip clubs. But I guess it would be kind of a change from what they usually play in there", he said. "It would be a surreal experience, for sure. I think the tempo is too fast, though. So maybe someone would have to do a chopped-and-screwed version or something."
The title is a quote from the film Closer in which the character portrayed by Natalie Portman says, "Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off... but it's better if you do". "Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" is also the title of another song by Panic! at the Disco. In the UK iTunes the title is "But It's Better When We Do".
Following its release in the United States, the song debuted at number 4 on Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, before dropping to number 8 on the chart dated September 23, 2006. It peaked at number 81 on the Pop 100 and number 74 on the Hot Digital Songs chart.
In Europe, the song had better success. On the UK Singles Chart, it peaked at number 23; and, in the Netherlands, it peaked at number 89 on the Dutch Singles Chart. It also reached number 1 on the UK Rock Chart on May 14, 2006. The song also found success in the Oceanic regions; on the Australian Singles Chart, it peaked at number 15, and on the New Zealand Singles Chart, it reached number 10.
At the beginning of the song's music video, the song playing in the background is "Intermission", the song preceding "But It's Better If You Do" on the A Fever You Can't Sweat Out CD.
The music video begins with a black-and-white introduction of a man (played by the band's lead singer, Brendon Urie), arguing with his girlfriend. She is worried about him always singing at illegal strip clubs; he says he doesn't go to illegal strip joints, but he goes anyway.
The music video continues with the song in the overview of the strip joint. Urie performs onstage with the other members of Panic! at the Disco and a Las Vegas showgirls dance group. Urie sees a woman who seems to be unusually interested in him. They retreat to a private room. The two begin to kiss and Urie removes his mask. The woman likewise removes her mask to reveal that she was in fact his girlfriend. His girlfriend slaps him and turns to leave. As she gains headway, however, the police bust into the club and arrest her. Urie brawls with the chief, but is apprehended. They both are put into a police car, smirk knowingly at one and another, and the scene fades in the same black-and-white color as the intro. This was the last video to feature Brent Wilson on bass.
- UK CD/Digital (May 2006)
- UK 7" poster bag (May 2006)
- A. "But It's Better If You Do"
- B. "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage" (Tommie Sunshine Brooklyn Fire Remix)
- UK 7" colored vinyl (May 2006)
- WMI CD (October 2006)
- WMI CD/Digital (September 2006)
- "But It's Better If You Do"
- "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" (91X Acoustic Session)
- "Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" (Live in Denver)
Charts and certifications
- "Panic! at the Disco But It's Better If You Do review".
- Montgomery, James (April 19, 2006). "Panic! At The Disco May Have Written Next Stripper Anthem". MTV. Viacom. Retrieved November 2, 2007.
- "Australian-charts.com – Panic at the Disco – But It's Better If You Do". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Panic at the Disco – But It's Better If You Do" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Panic at the Disco – But It's Better If You Do". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: 2006-05-06" UK Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2006-05-07" UK Rock Chart.
- "Panic at the Disco – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Panic at the Disco.
- "Panic at the Disco – Chart history" Billboard Digital Songs for Panic at the Disco.
- "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out - Panic! At the Disco - Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved June 26, 2016.
- "American single certifications – Panic! At The Disco – But It's Better If You Do". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH