Calhoun High School (Georgia)
|Calhoun High School|
|355 S. River Street
Calhoun, Georgia 30701-2379
|School district||Calhoun City School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Michele Taylor|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||15 : 1|
|Athletics||Varsity and junior varsity|
|Sports||Basketball, baseball, cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swim team, tennis, track, volleyball, and wrestling|
|Team name||Yellow Jackets|
Calhoun High School is a public high school in Calhoun, Georgia, United States, serving grades 9-12. It is accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of Georgia High School Association. It is located in a rural setting in Gordon County.
CHS was named a Silver Medal school in the "Best High Schools" category by U.S. News & World Report in 2009.
The CHS debate team won the 2008-2009 State Debate Championship (AA). The Calhoun teams combined for a 9-3 record against other finalists from single-A through triple-A schools, which gave them the AA division title. The debate coach is Lane Bearden.
Calhoun High offers many sports, including basketball, baseball, competition cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swim team, tennis, track, wrestling, and volleyball. Several teams, including softball, baseball, golf, football, track, and cheerleading, have won state championships. CHS is a member of the Georgia Region 6-AAA North.
The team mascot (the Yellow Jacket) was chosen due to the school's proximity to the Georgia Institute of Technology. Each year CHS pays royalties of 1 US dollar to Tech for the use of the mascot and its likeness. CHS calls its mascot "Stinger" rather than "Buzz".
CHS has found much success since the hiring of coach Hal Lamb as its football coach. He is the brother of former Furman University and current Mercer head football coach Bobby Lamb. The Yellow Jackets have won 13 straight region titles (2001–2013), and have made the Georgia State Football Playoffs every year since the 2000 season. Coach Lamb led the Jackets to their first football state title since the 1952 season in 2011 with a 27-24 overtime victory against Buford. Calhoun has been to the championship game five times in Lamb's 13 seasons, and been deep in the tournament several times under the coach, who also now serves as the CHS Athletic Director in addition to being the head football coach. The same sort of success has been seen with the CHS baseball programs under coach Chip Henderson. The Jackets have won three state titles (2000, 2005, 2010) and have been in the championship game five times with two State Runners-up (2001, 2007), as well as deep in the tournament several times. The Lady Jackets softball team has held a strong reputation over the last 25+ years under one of Georgia's most winningest coaches, coach Diane Ralston-Smith. The Lady Jackets are the only team in Calhoun history to have won three state titles in a row (2013, 2014, 2015).
Coached by Matt Rice, the Calhoun soccer team is the winningest team in Area 12. It was started by Rick Correll. The Jackets have also been coached by Jeff Olney. The team was 2013 State Runner-Up.
Coach Hal Lamb (206-35) was the all-time winningest coach in CHS history (as of 25 November 2016). Coach Lamb's career totals are (211 - 50).
- State championships - 1952 (class C), 2011 (AA), 2014 (AAA) 
- Region titles - 1950, 1951, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015 
CHS football home games are played at Phil Reeve Stadium on the CHS campus near downtown Calhoun. The stadium is named for C.P. "Phil" Reeve, the guitar player and founding member of the Georgia Yellow Hammers, an early 20th-century "old-time" band from Gordon County.
Coach Chip Henderson is the all-time winningest Head Baseball Coach at Calhoun High School (525 - 150, as of 10 May 2016 ). He is a three-time State Champion (2000, 2005, 2010) and two time State Runner-up (2001, 2007), as well as a three time State Coach of the Year ( 2000, 2005, 2010 ).
- State championships - 1974 (A), 2000 (A), 2005 (AA). 2010 (AA)
- Region titles - 1996, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 
Coach Diane Ralston-Smith is one of Georgia's cinningest Coaches, with more than 600 wins. The Lady Jackets softball team has won three state championships (back-to-back-to-back, the only sport in Calhoun history to win three in a row). 2013 (AA), 2014 (AAA), 2015 (AAA). The Lady Jackets were State Runner-Ups in 1998, 2008, and 2016.
Calhoun High School Competition Cheerleaders won State Championship titles in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, and 2014, while receiving state runner-up honors in 2004 and 2008. The competition squad is coached by Ginger Reeves.
The Lady Jackets golf team has won back-to-back state championships in golf. (2015 AAA, 2016 AAA)
- Charlie Culberson, Major League Baseball player for the Colorado Rockies; 2015 inductee into the Calhoun-Gordon County Sports Hall of Fame
- Kris Durham, current wide receiver for Tennessee Titans
- Erin Nance Hill, Miss Teen USA 1988 and First Runner-up to Miss USA 1993
- Rebecca Jones Kujawa, America's Junior Miss 1993
- Bert Lance, banker, former U.S. director of the Office of Management and the Budget, Jimmy Carter administration
- Jule Medders, country music songwriter for Diamond Rio and Patty Loveless
- Brad Moss, Minor League Baseball player in the San Francisco Giants organization
- Monty Powell, country songwriter, producer for Alabama, Diamond Rio, Tim McGraw, and Keith Urban
- Brodie Pullen, Minor League Baseball player in the Reds organization
- Cale Defoor, makes the best candles on this side of the Mississippi.
- Whit Robbins, Minor League Baseball player in the Minnesota Twins organization
- Da'Rick Rogers, National Football League free agent
- Joshua Smoker, Major League Baseball player with the Mets organization
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2012)|
- http://www.leaguelineup.com /Tournaments.asp?URL=calhounjacketsports&sid=818962641&TournamentID=190301
- Calhoun Baseball - Calhoun,Georgia
- Scout.com: Whit Robbins Profile