California State Route 197
|North Bank Road|
Map of Del Norte County in northwestern California with SR 197 highlighted in red
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 497|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length||6.725 mi (10.823 km)|
|South end||US 199 near Hiouchi|
|North end||US 101 near Fort Dick|
State Route 197 (SR 197) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California located north of Crescent City in Del Norte County. Running along the north bank of the Smith River as North Bank Road, SR 197 is a bypass connecting U.S. Highways 199 and 101.
SR 197 begins with an intersection at U.S. Route 199 in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. Moving northward, the road quickly exits the park, roughly paralleling the Smith River located to the west side of the road. The road then follows the river northward and then northwestward with several local roads meeting SR 197 along the evergreen forest area. The road meets its northern terminus at U.S. Route 101 just south of the Oregon border.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary (for a full list of prefixes, see the list of postmile definitions). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Del Norte County.
|||R0.00||US 199 – Crescent City, Gasquet, Grants Pass||South end of SR 197|
|||7.08||US 101 – Crescent City, Oregon||North end of SR 197|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Microsoft; Nokia (2011-01-19). "SR 197" (Map). Bing Maps. Microsoft. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- Federal Highway Administration (March 25, 2015). National Highway System: California (North) (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike & Adderly, Kevin (June 20, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- California Department of Transportation (July 2007). "Log of Bridges on State Highways". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation.
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 197.|