Marisa Acocella Marchetto
|Marisa Acocella Marchetto|
Marchetto at the 2015 Texas Book Festival
Marisa Acocella Marchetto is the author of the New York Times best-selling graphic novel Ann Tenna, the graphic memoir Cancer Vixen, and Just Who the Hell is She, Anyway? Marchetto is also a cartoonist for The New Yorker, a columnist for W magazine's website, and her work has appeared in The New York Times, Glamour, and O, The Oprah Magazine. 
In 2006 Knopf released Marchetto's graphic memoir, Cancer Vixen: A True Story, about her 2004-2005 battle with breast cancer. Details in the memoir include her seeking cancer treatment without health insurance, which she had allowed to lapse. Cancer Vixen was one of Time’s top ten graphic memoirs.
Ann Tenna, released in September 2015 by Knopf, is a New York Times Best Selling graphic novel about an influential gossip columnist who has a near-fatal accident, and is brought face-to-face with her higher self, who challenges her to change her life for the better. Marchetto has said that having a life-threatening breast cancer diagnosis informed the story arc of Ann Tenna.
Marchetto has donated a portion of her Cancer Vixen royalties to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, and is the founder of The Cancer Vixen Fund, which has funded free mammograms for uninsured women in New York City. Currently, the renamed Marisa Acocella Marchetto Foundation funds free integrative therapies and free cold capping for women to prevent hair loss from chemotherapy at the Mount Sinai Dubin Breast Center and the Mount Sinai Beth Israel Comprehensive Cancer Center, where the Foundation also supports a complete empowerment program that includes yoga, Chi Qong, journaling, exercise, meditation, and nutrition. The Foundation's mission is "No breast left behind."
- "About". Marisa Acocella Marchetto. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Cancer Vixen". Marisa Acocella Marchetto. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Lambert, Nancy. "The Illustrated Life: Top 10 Graphic Memoirs". Time. ISSN 0040-781X. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Ann Tenna". Marisa Acocella Marchetto. Retrieved 2015-10-08.
- "PEN DIY with Marisa Marchetto: How to Use Death as Your Life Coach". September 16, 2015. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- "Marisa Acocella Marchetto Foundation". Retrieved October 1, 2015.