Canvas Outdoor Museum Show
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
CANVAS Outdoor Museum Show is an annual art event held during the second week of November in Downtown West Palm Beach, Florida. The show was created by West Palm Beach gallery owner Nicole Henry of Nicole Henry Fine Art, and serves as a public platform for visual artists in the genres of contemporary art, mural art, street art, public art, video art and site-specific installation art. Its most recent production also included the downtown of nearby Lake Worth, Florida.
The show's mission is to bring the works of international artists to public spaces for an outdoor museum experience where the artists are given the platform to create site-specific installations on public infrastructure. With successful museum shows in 2015, 2016, and 2017, downtown West Palm Bech has become an important tourist destination year round as visitors from all over the world come to see the striking outdoor art museum that continues to grow each year.
Each show features 18 to 20 rising and established artists from around the world as well as a Local Showdown in which local artists complete to be in the next show's lineup.
The November 2015 inaugural show presented a lineup of 20 artists that came from the United States, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, United Kingdom, Germany and Puerto Rico, including: 2Alas, Bik-Ismo, CASE Maclaim, Cheryl Maeder, Greg Mike, Herakut, Jean-Luc Moerman, Jeremy Penn, José Bedia Valdés, Kai, Katja Loher, Kobra, Pastel, Registered Artists, Michael Dweck, Ron English, Sean Yoro (aka HULA), WRDSMTH, and ZEUS.
Over 18 site-specific installations and large-scale murals were created around Downtown, West Palm Beach on select buildings and infrastructure in various locations, including the City Hall Courtyard, Royal Park Bridge, Fern Street, and The Whitney.
The 2015 CANVAS Local Showdown was held in Northwood Village, where seven local artists competed to be on the 2016 CANVAS lineup. Artist Amanda Valdes won the competition by popular public vote on the CANVAS app.
In 2016, the show expanded to include nearby Lake Worth, and the artists included Amanda Valdez, Astro, Case Maclaim, Greg Mike, Griffin Loop, HEC One Love, Hoxxoh, HULA, Hybycozo, Laura Kimpton, Lonac, Lori Pratico, Pichiavo, Pipsqueak Was Here!!!, Sipros, WRDSMTH, and ZEUS. The nations represented were the UK, the US, Brazil, The Netherlands, Spain, Croatia, Germany, and France.
The 2017 show also included both West Palm Beach and Lake Worth, and several of the artists’ work in previous shows was so highly regarded they were invited back. Newcomers include Cyrcle, D*Face, Jennifer Chaparro (winner of the Local Showdown), Kobra, and Okuda.
In August 2015, a board of directors was formed to establish CANVAS Art Charities, an official not-for-profit 501(c)(3). The charity funds and curates year-round programming and events to support art in public spaces. Artist Dean Zeus Coleman won the artist residency where he will create an installation in Downtown Abacoa in Jupiter, Florida.
Board of directors
- Nicole Henry, owner, Nicole Henry Fine Art
- Elin Nordegren, philanthropist
- Alex Foster, co-founder and managing principal at Atlas Partners
- Michael Weinberg, senior vice president, Merrill Lynch
- William Corrente, founding partner, CS Capital Group
- Michelle Grande, philanthropist, Berlin Family Foundation
- Roy Assad, managing partner, Human Capital Group & COO of M&V Magazine
- "AS I SEE IT WITH BRUCE HELANDER – CANVASSING THE CITY". One Art Nation. January 2016.
- "CANVAS Outdoor Museum Show comes to WPB". ABC 25 WPBF. November 5, 2015. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "See mural artists transform West Palm Beach's streets into art". My Palm Beach Post. November 13, 2015.
- "Streets: 2Alas & Herakut & Pastel // Canvas Outdoor Museum Show (Florida)". Arrested Motion. November 17, 2015.
- "Yahoo! News Photos of the Day". Yahoo! News. November 23, 2015.
- "Perrier Loves Art: Q&A with Zeus". Perrier. November 29, 2015.
- Pieprzak, Katarzyna (2010-03-05), "Taking Art to the Streets: The Ephemeral Outdoor Museum as Contact Zone", Imagined Museums, University of Minnesota Press, pp. 127–158, doi:10.5749/minnesota/9780816665181.003.0005, ISBN 9780816665181
- "Outdoor Museum Show transforms West Palm Beach". WPTV 5 WPB. Nov 10, 2015. Archived from the original on November 12, 2015. Retrieved December 22, 2015.
- "OUTDOOR ART: CANVAS TAKES OVER WEST PALM". Palm Beach Illustrated. November 2015.
- "Under-the-Radar Arts Festivals You Need to Start Planning for Now". InStyle.com. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Kester, Jennifer. "5 Reasons Palm Beach Is A Cultural Destination". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Thompson, Kevin D. "10 artists painting giant murals in Lake Worth for outdoor museum show". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- "CANVAS draws attention to West Palm art scene". Palm Beach Post. December 2, 2015.
- "Canvas outdoor museum show opens in downtown West Palm Beach". Art Daily. November 2015.