|Conservation status||FAO (2007): not listed|
|Country of origin||Italy|
|Use||meat, also milk|
|Wool color||black; limbs often pale|
|Face color||black, often with white markings|
|Horn status||horned in both sexes|
|Tassels||not always present|
The Capestrina is an indigenous breed of domestic goat from the southern part of Lazio, in southern central Italy. It originates in the provinces of Frosinone, Latina and Rome, on the spines of the Monti Aurunci, the Monti Ausoni and the Monti Lepini. It is also raised in the Monti delle Mainarde and in the Val Comino, and on the Monti Prenestini. Its geographical range is similar to that of the Bianca Monticellana and the Ciociara Grigia; it is however usually found on higher and less accessible terrain than those breeds.
The Capestrina is one of the forty-three autochthonous Italian goat breeds of limited distribution for which a herdbook is kept by the Associazione Nazionale della Pastorizia, the Italian national association of sheep- and goat-breeders. At the end of 2013 the registered population was variously reported as 850 and as 991.
The average milk yield of the Capestrina, over and above that taken by the kids, is 70 litres in 100 days for primiparous, 120 l in 150 days for secondiparous, and 150 l in 150 days for pluriparous, nannies.
- Barbara Rischkowsky, D. Pilling (eds.) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Accessed June 2014.
- Daniele Bigi, Alessio Zanon (2008). Atlante delle razze autoctone: Bovini, equini, ovicaprini, suini allevati in Italia (in Italian). Milan: Edagricole. ISBN 9788850652594. p. 328–29.
- Norme tecniche della popolazione caprina "Capestrina": standard della razza (in Italian). Associazione Nazionale della Pastorizia. Accessed June 2014.
- Registro Volontario Regionale delle risorse genetiche autoctone di interesse agrario a rischio di erosione (Legge Regionale 1 marzo 2000 n. 15): Capra Nera Capestrina (in Italian). Agenzia Regionale per lo Sviluppo e l'Innovazione dell'Agricoltura del Lazio. Accessed June 2014.
- Strutture Zootecniche (Dec. 2009/712/CE - Allegato 2 - Capitolo 2) (in Italian). Ministero delle Politiche Agricole Alimentari e Forestali. Section I (e). Archived 4 December 2013.
- Consistenze Provinciali della Razza Q6 Capestrina Anno 2013 (in Italian). Associazione Nazionale della Pastorizia: Banca dati. Accessed June 2014.
- Breed data sheet: Capestrina/Italy. Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed June 2014.
|This goat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Italy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|