Carbon dioxide reforming
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (September 2011)|
Carbon dioxide reformation (also known as dry reformation) is a method of producing synthesis gas (mixtures of hydrogen and carbon monoxide) from the reaction of carbon dioxide with hydrocarbons such as methane. Synthesis gas is conventionally produced via the steam reforming reaction. In recent years, increased concerns on the contribution of greenhouse gases to global warming have increased interest in the replacement of steam as reactant with carbon dioxide.
The dry reforming reaction may be represented by:
- CO2 + CH4 → 2 H2 + 2 CO
Thus, two greenhouse gases are consumed and useful chemical building blocks, hydrogen and carbon monoxide, are produced. A challenge to the commercialization of this process is that the hydrogen that is produced tends to react with the carbon dioxide. For example, the following reaction typically proceeds with a lower activation energy than the dry reforming reaction itself:
- CO2 + H2 → H2O + CO
- Halmann, Martin M. (1993). "Carbon Dioxide Reforming". Chemical fixation of carbon dioxide: methods for recycling CO2 into useful products. CRC Press. ISBN 978-0-8493-4428-2.
- Song, Qilei; Xiao, Rui; Li, Yanbing; Shen, Laihong. "Catalytic Carbon Dioxide Reforming of Methane to Synthesis Gas over Activated Carbon Catalyst". Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 47 (13): 4349–4357. doi:10.1021/ie800117a.
- Zhang, Guojie; Hao, Lanxia; Jia, Yong; Du, Yannian. "CO2 reforming of CH4 over Efficient bimetallic Co-Zr/AC catalyst for H2 production". I International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 40 (37): 1268–12879. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.07.011.
- Zhang, Guojie; Duo, Yiannian; Xu, Ying; Zhang, Yongfa. "Effects of preparation methods on the properties of cobalt/carbon catalyst for methane reforming with carbon dioxide to syngas". Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 20 (4): 1677–1683. doi:10.1016/j.jiec.2013.08.016.
- Zhang, Guojie; Qu, Jiangwen; Su, Aiting; Zhang, Yongfa; Xu, Ying. "Towards understanding the carbon catalyzed CO2 reforming of methane to syngas". 21 (1): 311–317. doi:10.1016/j.jiec.2014.02.038.
- Zhang, Guojie; Su, Aiting; Dui, Yannian; Qu, Jiangwen; Xu, Ying. "Catalytic performance of activated carbon supported cobalt catalyst for CO2 reforming of CH4". Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 433: 149–155. doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2014.06.038.