History and profile
The publication's umbrella company, Card Player Media, LLC, also publishes Card Player Europe. The magazines have a combined monthly circulation of approximately 300,000.
Card Player releases a new issue every two weeks. An issue typically consists of feature articles, tournament reports, and columns. Feature articles are usually in-depth profiles of prominent players on the tournament circuit. Tournament reports are on-location reports of the richest and most prestigious poker tournaments. Each issue also has a large number of strategy columns, coming from a stable of acclaimed poker players and authors which includes three former world champions.
Card Player Media has content licensing agreements with media partners CardPlayer Bulgaria (Magazine and website), Card Player Polska (Poland), Card Player Italia (Italy), Pokerilehti (Finland & Estonia), Poker (Card Player France), CardPlayer Deutsch (Germany), Poker Magazine (Sweden), CardPlayer.fi (Finland website), CardPlayer South Africa (South Africa), CardPlayer Espana (Spain), CardPlayer Brasil (Brazil) and CardPlayer Latin America, which publishes CardPlayer Argentina+Uruguay.
In 2008, Card Player Media launched SpadeClub.com, an online poker website. Members of SpadeClub paid a monthly subscription fee to enter into a variety of free poker tournaments. Spadeclub ceased operations and migrated all users into Zen gaming in September 2010.
Player of the Year Award
Card Player is also well known for its Player of the Year Award. Started in 1997, it goes to the player who has the most outstanding tournament results throughout the year. Players are awarded points for final-table finishes in major tournaments. Points that can be earned in a given tournament are adjusted based on the buy-in, as well as the number of entrants. The player who accumulates the most points by the end of the year receives the award.
- "About Card Player Poker School". Card Player Poker School. Retrieved December 20, 2015.
- Jim Ruymen (July 26, 2004). "Poker's growing stakes". MSNBC. Reuters. Retrieved November 23, 2008.
- Walter Kirn; Jeffrey Ressner (July 26, 2004). "Poker's New Face". Time Magazine. Retrieved November 23, 2008.
- prime816 (May 17, 2008). "Jeff Haney checks out an online poker site for average Joes that's poised to debut, with the owner planning to get rich quick". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "SpadeClub Ceases Operations, Sends Players to ZEN Entertainment Network". Poker News Daily. Retrieved October 14, 2013.