|Born||Sydney, Nova Scotia|
|Occupation(s)||songwriter, performer, recording artist|
|Associated acts||Port Cities, Dylan Guthro, Breagh MacKinnon, Gordie Sampson, Hawksley Workman, Jason Collett, Howie Beck|
Carleton Stone is a Canadian singer/songwriter based in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. After recording three albums as a solo artist, Stone has most recently joined forces with musicians Dylan Guthro and Breagh MacKinnon to form the pop band Port Cities.
Life and career
He began his professional musical life fronting a band, and self-produced the group's debut album, entitled Carleton Stone Drives the Big Wheel, which was released in 2009. In 2011, he became a solo artist, releasing the eponymous Carleton Stone, produced by Hawksley Workman.
Stone's third album, Draws Blood, was co-produced by Jason Collett, of Broken Social Scene, and Howie Beck. It was released in 2014 and was dedicated to his friend and mentor Jay Smith, a well-known Canadian musician, who took his own life in 2013 after struggling with addiction and depression.
In 2015, Stone joined fellow singer-songwriters Dylan Guthro and Breagh MacKinnon to form the band Port Cities. Port Cities makes singer/songwriter-style pop music and takes advantage of all three voices with extensive use of vocal harmonies.
"We just thought, there’s such a great chemistry between us, why not try to join forces and do something that’s bigger that any of us could do on our own?” said Stone in 2015. In 2016, the band was signed to turtlemusik/Warner Music; their debut album is expected in 2017.
- Draws Blood (2014)
- Carleton Stone (2011)
- Carleton Stone Drives the Big Wheel (2009)
- Dylan Guthro - "Dance On Me", "Love Somebody" and "Here Till The Mornin (feat. Quake Matthews)" - Dylan Guthro EP (July 2016)
- Donovan Woods - "The First Time" and "Between Cities" from the album "Hard Settle, Ain't Troubled" - (February 2016)
- Classified feat. Snoop Dogg - "No Pressure" - single (November 2015)
- River Town Saints - "Little Bit Goes A Long Way" - single (November 2015)
- Emma-Lee - "All The Way" - single (October 2015)
- Donovan Woods - "On The Nights You Stay Home" - single (October 2015)
- Neon Dreams - "Wasted" - single (September 2015)
- Tim Chaisson - "Crushed" - single (February 2015)
- Bobby Bazini - "Bubblegum" - single (May 2014)
Awards and achievements
- ECMA Solo Recording of the Year Winner - Draws Blood
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Recording of the Year – Draws Blood
- Music Nova Scotia Award Winner Pop Recording of the Year – Draws Blood
- Music Nova Scotia Award Nominee Entertainer of the Year
- Music Nova Scotia Award Nominee Male Artist of the Year
- Music Nova Scotia Award Nominee SOCAN Songwriter of the Year with Dylan Guthro for “When You Come Home”
- "Sydney native Carleton Stone's album dedicated to late Jay Smith". The Cape Breton Post. Sydney, Nova Scotia: TC Media. February 19, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "Catching up with Carleton Stone". theutscmessenger.com. Scarborough, Ontario: The UTSC Messenger. July 17, 2015.
- "Songs to celebrate the life and music of Jay Smith". www.thecoast.ca. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Coast Publishing Ltd. March 24, 2016.
- Cooke, Stephen (March 31, 2014). "Right place, right time for Carleton Stone". thechronicleherald.ca. Halifax, Nova Scotia: The Chronicle Herald.
- Thompson, Aly (January 14, 2015). "Halifax musicians put solo careers aside, join forces for new band Port Cities". www.metronews.ca. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Metro Halifax.
- "Port Cities features 3 friends with great vocal blend". www.cbc.ca. Ottawa, Ontario: CBC/Radio Canada. August 16, 2016.
- Murphy, Sarah (July 12, 2016). "Dylan Guthro - "Dance On Me"". www.exlcaim.ca. Toronto, Ontario: Exclaim! Media.
- Doole, Kerry (February 23, 2016). "The double life of Donovan Woods". Words & Music. Toronto, Ontario: SOCAN.
- "River Town Saints - A Little Bit Goes a Long Way". allmusic.com. San Francisco, California: All Media Network. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "Tim Chaisson - Lost in Light". allmusic.com. San Francisco, California: All Media Network. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "Bobby Bazini - Where I Belong". allmusic.com. San Francisco, California: All Media Network. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "East Coast Music Awards: Awards Archive 2015". www.ecma.com. Halifax, Nova Scotia: East Coast Music Awards. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- "Here are your 2014 Music Nova Scotia Award winners!". www.cimamusic.ca. Toronto, Ontario: Canadian Independent Music Association. Retrieved October 21, 2016.