Carpenters Bridge, Delaware
Carpenters Bridge in Kent County, Delaware is an area associated with the name Carpenters Bridge. It contains a minor bridge with that name that crosses the Murderkill River, a road by the same name and the immediate area has a pending residential area called Carpenter Bridge Crossing.
The bridge was in existence as early as 1890, when it was mentioned in a New York Times article as the site of a murder. It was rebuilt or improved in 1899, and replaced with prestressed concrete and mixed box beam and girders construction in 1962.
The bridge spans land that once was considered by local residents to be of historic importance, though neither the State of Delaware nor developers such as Carpenter Bridge Properties, LLC, through the construction company Lessard Builders, now deem it as a historic area.
Road 35, is a state-maintained connector road and is locally designated as Carpenter Bridge Road. This road enables significant commercial and public access between Harrington and Frederica, Delaware. The road has hundreds of houses along its length that spans two zip code areas. The zip code divider is the bridge itself by the same name.
The Carpenter Bridge Crossing Home Owners Association is a pending 193 unit subdivision. The 2006 State of Delaware approved planned residential community is located a little east of the bridge. Construction has been delayed due to the economy and construction has not yet started as of 2012. Carpenters Bridge Properties, LLC is under the construction company Lessard Builders, who are the developers.  Google Maps show the planned streets and lots, but the satellite view clearly shows construction has not yet started.
The area is also home to a number of residential subdivisions, natural attractions such as the Burton-Derrickson Tract of the Murderkill River Nature Preserve and Killens Pond State Park, and at least one active bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) nest. The area was proposed as the site of a renewable solar energy farm at Carpenters Bridge in 2004 which was still under consideration in 2010.
- L. W. Heck, A. J. Wraight, D. J. Orth, J. R. Carter, L. G. Van Winkle, and Janet Hazen: Delaware Place Names, National Geological Survey Bulletin 1245, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1966, p. 25. and see:http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=132:2:402717851446304::NO:RP::
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Carpenters Bridge, Delaware
- "Two Negroes Hanged For Murder", The New York Times, February 14, 1891, p. 1, http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00717FB345F10738DDDAD0994DA405B8185F0D3, accessed 4 Aug 2012 -- "The killing [of a Negro man] was done at Carpenter's Bridge, where a public road crosses a branch of Murderkill Creek, about three miles to the eastward of Felton, Kent County."
- Annual Report of the State Auditor of the State of Delaware, 1900, The Delawarean Print, Dover, Del., 1901, pp. 3, 52, 54, 55, 65, digitized Sep 18, 2007, https://books.google.com/books?id=6bBJAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA3&lpg=RA1-PA3&dq=%22Carpenter%27s+Bridge%22+Murderkill&source=bl&ots=ou2yD5e-GV&sig=VtrWy0km5BXyAsF9dIS9aT8lBL8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UE4eUIyiI8He0QHd34GYCA&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Carpenter%27s%20Bridge%22%20Murderkill&f=false, accessed 4 Aug 2012: "Order no. 4054, Frank White, building Carpenter's Bridge over Murderkill River...piling for Carpenter's Bridge...(etc.)"
- CARPENTER BRIDGE over MURDERKILL RIVER, Frederica, Kent County, Delaware, http://uglybridges.com/1077384, accessed 3 Aug 2012.
- Carpenter Bridge Properties, LLC through Lessard Builders. http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/GI/Documents/691d18d0af5b4caaa4d59dbeaddb0afcJPaulJones001.pdf, accessed 3 Aug 2012.
- Carpenter Bridge Road runs east from State Route 13 across Route 15 to Route 12 near Frederica and the bridge is south of Killen Pond State Park on the Murderkill River; see: http://cartographic.info/usa/street/map.php?p=delaware&id=2366, accessed 3 Aug 2012
- CARPENTER BRIDGE, FELTON, Delaware, ZIP Code 19943, http://www.izipcodelookup.com/DE/FELTON/CARPENTER_BRIDGE/19943.htm, and CARPENTER BRIDGE, HARRINGTON, Delaware, ZIP Code 19952-2927, http://de.postcodebase.com/zip_code/19952-2927, accessed 3 Aug 2012.
- Carpenters Bridge Crossing by Kent County, Delaware planning and zoning commission. Archived March 30, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Delaware State planning commission. This 2009 document on pages 8 & 9 shows the area of the pending Carpenter Bridge in the lower left side of the images.
- Everson Lane, Felton, Delaware The red A shows the edge of the planned Carpenters Bridge residential area. By toggling between map and satellite view you can see the planned area and the lack of construction. The bridge is not shown, but crosses the river to the bottom of the image.
- Kent County Department of Planning Services, Division of Planning, Staff Recommendation Report, September 2, 2010, Plan CS-10-04, Renewable Solar Energy Farm at Carpenters Bridge, http://www.co.kent.de.us/Departments/Planning/Zoning/documents/CS-10-04STAFFREPORT.pdf, accessed 4 Aug 2012.
- Renewable Solar Energy Farm at Carpenters Bridge, Tax Map SM-00-140.00-01-76-000, http://www.co.kent.de.us/Departments/Planning/Zoning/documents/CS-10-04titlepage.pdf, accessed 4 Aug 2012.
- Carpenters Bridge, with Photos Nearby Carpenters Bridge
- Carpenters Bridge Crossing Homeowners Association (HOA)