1805 Quaker Meetinghouse
Location in Kent County and the state of Delaware.
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.9 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||39 ft (12 m)|
|• Density||1,130.9/sq mi (436.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0213746|
Camden was established in 1783 as a community originally known as Mifflin's Crossroads. The Camden Historic District, Brecknock, Camden Friends Meetinghouse, Star Hill AME Church, and Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Camden is located at (39.112868, -75.549134).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), all land.
Because of the small size of this town, and its even smaller neighbor of Wyoming, Delaware, the U.S. Postal Service has jointly assigned the towns a single ZIP code, 19934, which is designated as the Camden-Wyoming zip code.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,100 peoples, 835 households, and 573 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,130.9 people per square mile (435.9/km²). There were 886 housing units at an average density of 477.1 per square mile (183.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 76.67% White, 18.00% African American, 0.81% Native American, 1.38% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 0.90% from other races, and 2.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.90% of the population.
There were 835 households out of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.2% were married couples living together, 15.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.0% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $47,097, and the median income for a family was $50,347. Males had a median income of $32,154 versus $25,261 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,113. About 1.8% of families and 4.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under age 18 and 2.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Mayor: W.G. Edmanson II
- Vice-Mayor: Justin King
- Councilman: John Green
- Councilman: Kevin Casquarelli
- Councilman: Larry Dougherty
- Town Manager: Aaron Chaffinch
- Previous office holders: James O. Plumley III (????–2011)
- Chief of Police: William Bryson (As of 2012[update])
- Ashley Coleman, Miss Delaware Teen USA 1999, Miss Teen USA 1999 (born and grew up in Camden)
- Eric Buckson, born in Camden and a current Kent County Levy Court Commissioner
- The Delaware Census State Data Center, Delaware Office of State Planning Coordination, 2011-04-08, www.stateplanning.delaware.gov
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sanginiti, Terri; Barrish, Cris (2012-01-27), "Ex-official cited for theft and conspiracy", The News Journal, delawareonline, retrieved 2012-01-28