Allman has been involved in open source software since the 1980s. She works with the global Free and open-source software community at Google. She works on Google Summer of Code and Google Code-in. As well as developing programming skills, she is interested in the interpersonal aspects of engineering. She is on the board of directors at USENIX. She served as a jury member for Falling Walls.
- "Cat Allman". opensourcebridge.org. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- FOSSASIA (2016-08-21), Science and Open Source Program at Google - Cat Allman - FOSSASIA Summit 2016, retrieved 2018-06-02 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Allman, Cat (2009). "The Human Factor in Open Source". Open Source Business Resource (June 2009). ISSN 1913-6102.
- "USENIX Board | USENIX". www.usenix.org. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "Cat Allman | Community Leadership Summit". www.communityleadershipsummit.com. Retrieved 2018-06-02.