Center for Healthy Sex
Center for Healthy Sex (CHS) is a community therapy center in Los Angeles that specializes in the treatment of sexual dysfunction, sexual anorexia, sex addiction and love addiction. The Center is located on Santa Monica Boulevard near Overland Avenue bordering the neighborhoods of Century City and Westwood.
At the end of each year, Center for Healthy Sex announces the annual Best/Worst Sex List highlighting the highs and lows of sexual culture, published by Huffington Post and Psychology Today. In 2011, Center for Healthy Sex partnered with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment to produce a special screening of Shame (2011 film) at American Cinematheque followed by a panel of sex experts including Alexandra Katehakis, Ethlie Ann Vare and Chris Donaghue (host of Bad Sex,) as well as sex addicts from Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous, Sex Addicts Anonymous and Sexual Compulsives Anonymous. Center for Healthy Sex also participated in a screening and panel discussion for the film Thanks For Sharing with the film's co-writer, Matt Winston and a free film screening of the movie Unlovable with writer/star Charlene deGuzman and director Suzi Yoonessi.
Center for Healthy Sex was co-founded by Alexandra Katehakis, PhD, MFT, CST-S, CSAT-S, and Douglas Evans in 2005. Their stated mission is to offer men, women, and couples a safe place to receive professional psychotherapy to resolve shame, guilt, deception, or other barriers to healthy eroticism.
Katehakis serves as the center's clinical director. She treats affect dysregulation, the result of in-depth studies of attachment theory and interpersonal neurobiology as a member of Allan Schore’s study group since 2006. Alex Katehakis is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Certified Sex Addiction Therapist and Supervisor, Certified Sex Therapist and Supervisor, and trained practitioner of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. Katehakis became certified as a sex addiction therapist by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D, and worked at the Sexual Recovery Institute for eight years where she served as clinical supervisor for two years before opening Center for Healthy Sex. She is the author of Erotic Intelligence: Igniting Hot, Healthy Sex While in Recovery from Sex Addiction and Sexual Addiction as Affect Dysregulation. She is also the co-author of Making Advances: A Comprehensive Guide for Treating Female Sex and Love Addicts and Mirror of Intimacy: Daily Reflections on Emotional and Erotic Intelligence.
Douglas Evans, the center's executive director, graduated from Ohio State University with a degree in psychology and marketing, and has served as a volunteer counselor at the Southern California Counseling Center, and studied spiritual psychology at the University of Santa Monica. 
Programs and services
Center for Healthy Sex develops and hosts a range of programs open to the public that provide educational opportunities for therapists, clients, and anyone interested in further developing relationship skills and sexual intimacy. These include podcasts, free monthly lectures with continuing education units for sex therapists and sex addiction therapists, online tests, and online classes.
Center for Healthy Sex is a licensed continuing education provider with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) , the American Psychological Association (APA), and an AASECT approved continuing education provider. CHS provides group therapy, an individual outpatient program, individual therapy, couples therapy, and training in sex addiction treatment and sex therapy.
- AccessRX Interview with Alexandra Katehakis
- KLEAN Radio interview with Center for Healthy Sex
- Center for Healthy Sex official website
- 2011 Worst Sex List at Huffington Post
- 2012 Best/Worst Sex List at Psychology Today
- American Cinematheque Shame screening
- The Fix article: Sex Addiction Event
- Video: “Shame and Sex Addiction” panel discussion.
- CHS Clinical Director bio
- Rossier Master’s Programs: Center for Healthy Sex
- Katehakis, Alexandra (2010). Erotic Intelligence Igniting Hot, Healthy Sex While in Recovery from Sex Addiction. Health Communications, Inc. ISBN 0-7573-1437-6.
- Katehakis, Alexandra. Sex Addiction as Affect Dysregulation. ISBN 978-0-3937-0902-5.
- Ferree, Marnie C. (2012). Making Advances A Comprehensive Guide for Treating Female Sex and Love Addicts. ISBN 978-0-9857472-0-6.
- Katehakis, Alexandra (2014). Mirror of Intimacy: Daily Reflections on Emotional and Erotic Intelligence. Center for Healthy Sex. ISBN 978-0-6158-4951-5.
- CHS Executive Director bio
- L.A. Times: Sex Addiction Rehab a Thriving Industry
- CHS Clinical Associates
- "California BBS Provider List" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2013-01-25. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "List of AASECT Approved Continuing Education Providers" (PDF).