Centereach High School
|Centereach High School|
Centereach, New York
|School district||Middle Country Central School District|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
Centereach High School is a public high school in the Middle Country Central School District of Suffolk County, New York on Long Island, teaching a college preparatory curriculum for grades nine through twelve.
History and overview
Centereach High School opened in 1970, to serve the continuing population growth in central Suffolk County and in the Middle Country Central School District.
The Stephen I. Tupper planetarium hosts a variety of shows and serves as an integral part of the elementary science curriculum, receiving its funding through the school budget. It boasts a 12.2 m dome, seating for 120, and a projector nicknamed Sidney. Its directors have included David Cohn, who has worked on coordinated efforts with NASA/JPL, and Thomas Madiganny, who has worked as an IT professional for the likes of Robert Half International.
Centereach fields a number of varsity and junior varsity athletic teams, in Section 11, Division 2 of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association, including Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball (Girls), and Wrestling.
The October 29, 2007 issue of Sports Illustrated ran a story about Centereach's football team being a favored pick for its opponent's homecoming games because of its poor record in recent seasons.
Centereach has an Ice Hockey team that is not involved with the school, but is in the NYSAHA.
- Thea Trinidad - Professional wrestler currently on the independent scene; formerly wrestled under the name "Rosita" in Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
Events of note
In January 1997, 30-year-old New York City firefighter James Halversen was shot and killed while jogging around the Centereach High School track, in a random act of violence. This unfortunate event gave rise to stories about a portion of the track being "haunted," so much so that it has drawn paranormal investigators to the site.
- "Newsday: High School Graduates". Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- Dawn of the Space Age, Mirage 3D External link in
- "District Curriculum Information". Middle Country School District.
- "Budget". Middle Country School District.
- "Stephen I Tupper Planetarium". David Cohn.
- "Tupper Planetarium". Association of French speaking Planetariums ( WPD - Worldwide Planetariums Database ).
- "Sidney the projector".
- "Linked-In". Thomas Mdiganny.
- "Cougars Now 14th Nationally". Newsday. November 30, 1995. Retrieved January 6, 2010.
- "High School Football: Lost Cause". Sports Illustrated. October 29, 2007. Retrieved January 6, 2010.
- Alvarez, Lizette (Jan 5, 1997). "New York City Firefighter Killed While Jogging Near His L.I. Home". The New York Times. Retrieved Aug 5, 2009.
- "Man Sentenced to Prison In Slaying of Firefighter". The New York Times. Nov 5, 1998. Retrieved Aug 5, 2009.
- Centereach High School Investigation, Long Island Paranormal Investigators, accessed Aug. 5, 2009