Champ-de-Mars station (Montreal Metro)
|Location||940, rue Sanguinet, Montreal|
|Operated by||Société de transport de Montréal|
|Depth||6.1 metres (20 feet), 59th deepest|
|Opened||14 October 1966|
|Passengers (2019)||4,188,317 10.2%|
|Rank||28 of 68|
Champ-de-Mars station is a Montreal Metro station in the borough of Ville-Marie in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It is operated by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) and serves the Orange Line. It is located in Old Montreal by the Champ de Mars park. It opened on October 14, 1966, as part of the original Metro network.
Designed by Adalbert Niklewicz, it is a normal side platform station, built in open cut due to the presence of weak Utica shale in the surrounding rock. Its entrance is located near a series of tunnels that cross the Autoroute Ville-Marie, giving access to Old Montreal.
Architecture and art
One of the most important artworks in the Metro, a set of stained glass windows by noted Quebec artist Marcelle Ferron, illuminates the mezzanine of this station. These windows, one of the artist's masterpieces and her most famous work, were given by the Government of Quebec in 1968. They were the first work of non-figurative art to be commissioned for the Metro, representing the first official entrance of Automatist art in the system.
Origin of the name
This station is named for Champ-de-Mars, a public park facing Montreal City Hall. The name is the French term for a military parade ground. It was formerly crossed by the city's fortifications, demolished in the 19th century, the foundations of which can still be seen. It was later turned into a parking lot, which was replaced by a park in 1980s.
Connecting bus routes
|Société de transport de Montréal|
|715 Vieux Old Port/Vieux Old Montréal|
Nearby points of interest
- Montreal City Hall
- Old Montreal
- Old Port
- Bonsecours Market
- Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours
- Place Jacques-Cartier
- Château Ramezay
- Sir George-Étienne Cartier National Historic Site
- Édifice Lucien-Saulnier (former courthouse)
- Complexe Chaussegros-de-Léry (City of Montreal)
- Palais de justice (Montreal)
- Édifice Jacques-Viger
- Société de transport de Montréal (2020-05-21). Entrants de toutes les stations de métro en 2019 (Report) – via Access to Information Act request, reference no. 0308.2020.091.
- Société de transport de Montréal (2019-08-08). Achalandage du métro mensuel, station par station (Report) – via Access to Information Act request, reference no. 0308.2019.197.
- Champ-de-Mars Metro Station Archived May 27, 2013, at the Wayback Machine