Charles Frederic Belcher
Charles Frederic Belcher
|Chief Justice of Trinidad and Tobago|
|Preceded by||Philip James Macdonell|
|Succeeded by||Charles Cyril Gerathy|
|Chief Justice of Cyprus|
|Preceded by||Sir Sidney Charles Nettleton|
|Succeeded by||Sir Herbert Cecil Stronge|
11 July 1876|
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
|Died||7 February 1970
Kokstad, South Africa
|Resting place||Kokstad Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Sara Visger (married 1908)|
|Alma mater||Trinity College|
Born in Geelong, Victoria, C.F. Belcher was a son of G.F. Belcher, a former member of the Victorian Legislative Council. He entered Trinity College (University of Melbourne) in 1894, where he studied Law. He was first called to the bar in Melbourne, and then in 1909, at Gray's Inn, London.
For much of his life he served the British Colonial Service in Africa and elsewhere. He was variously a magistrate in Uganda, Assistant Judge in Zanzibar, Puisne Judge in Kenya, Member of the Appeals Court of East Africa, Attorney General (1920-1923) and later High Court Judge (1924-1927) of Nyasaland, Chief Justice of Cyprus (1927–1930) and President of the Appeal Court of the West Indies (1930-1937). In 1930, he was appointed Chief Justice of Trinidad and Tobago, an office he held for the next seven years.
In June 1931 he received a knighthood in the King's Birthday honours.
- Belcher, Charles F. (1914). The Birds of the District of Geelong, Australia. W.J. Griffiths: Geelong.
- Belcher, Charles Frederic. (1930). The Birds of Nyasaland. C. Lockwood & Son: London.
- Belcher, Charles Frederic. (1944). Genealogical notes relating to William Belcher of Kells (1730-1798) and his descendants. W. Boyd & Co: Nairobi.
- "Personal". The Horsham Times. Horsham, Victoria. 9 June 1931. p. 4 – via Trove.
- Garvey, Marcus (23 August 2006). The Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers, Vol. X: Africa for the Africans, 1923–1945. University of California Press. p. 383. ISBN 978-0-520-93275-3.
Sir Charles Frederic Belcher (1876-1970) served as judge of the High Court of Nyasaland from 1924 to 1927.
- "No. 33658". The London Gazette. 4 November 1930. p. 6945.
- The London Gazette, no. 33722 (2 June 1931): 3624.
- Chisholm, A.H. (1970). Obituary. Sir Charles Belcher. Emu 70: 91-92.
- Robin, Libby. (2001). The Flight of the Emu: a hundred years of Australian ornithology 1901-2001. Carlton, Vic. Melbourne University Press. ISBN 0-522-84987-3
Sir Philip James Macdonell
|Chief Justice of Trinidad and Tobago
1930 – 1937
Charles Cyril Gerathy
|This article about an Australian ornithologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|