|Founded||November 8, 2006|
|Founders||Michael Hansen |
Ruben Bjerg Hansen
Founded in 2004 as a Danish startup, the company moved its headquarters to the United States in 2013.
Issuu converts PDFs into digital publications that can be shared via links or embedded into websites. Users can edit their publications by customizing the design, using templates, or adding links and multimedia to the pages of their documents. Issuu also provides tools for measuring and monetization of content.
In early 2013, the company opened an office in Palo Alto, California and appointed CEO Joe Hyrkin, formerly of Reverb, Trinity Ventures, and Yahoo!, to helm its Silicon Valley operations. The company soon moved its headquarters to the Palo Alto location. Upon the move, the founders of Issuu stated that they chose the city as they saw social media and digital distribution partnerships as the key to its growth, rather than focusing mostly on publishing relationships.
In 2014 Issuu released its iOS app to access Issuu on Apple devices. The app included an offline reading list function that allowed users to read from the Issuu app without being online. The app could also stack publications back to back so that they could be read in succession. Initially, the app was released on Android in January. Previous to the launch of the company's 2014 apps, Apple had rejected an app from Issuu three times during 2009 (before the company expanded into the US). In 2019, Issuu announced the launch of Issuu Promote, an ad integration tool for Facebook and Instagram, allowing for content to be distributed across multiple social media channels.
- Mike Cassidy (27 September 2013). "Cassidy: Issuu shows Silicon Valley's vital role in global commerce". The Mercury News.
- "Issuu Inc – Company Profile and News". Bloomberg. Archived from the original on 27 October 2020.
- Schubarth, Cromwell. "Danish online publisher Issuu hires U.S. CEO, moves HQ to Palo Alto". bizjournals.com.
- "About issuu". issuu.com. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Steven Kurutz (1 June 2011). "The Thriving (Online) Shelter Magazine Industry". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Calvin Reid (16 September 2013). "Fast Growing issuu Appoints Joe Hyrkin CEO". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "How to be more bossy at work (in a good way)". 8 May 2015.
- "Issuu, Now California-Based, Helps Niche Publishers Go Digital". Xconomy. 4 December 2013.
- Martin Bryant (9 July 2014). "Issuu launches Clip to help users and publishers share the best of its 16m publications". The Next Web. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- AppAdvice Staff. "Shelf Control: Free magazine issues are right at your fingertips with Issuu for iOS".
- Sarah Perez (3 October 2014). "issuu Brings its "YouTube for Magazines" to the iPhone and iPad". TechCrunch. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Kate Knibbs (21 January 2014). "Magazine reader Issuu joins the Android Army, offers 15 million publications". Digital Trends.
- "Issuu Launches Issuu Promote: Story Ad Integration for Facebook and Instagram". businesswire.com. 4 November 2019. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Lora Kolodny (14 July 2014). "Venture Capital Dispatch: issuu Raises $10M to Become "YouTube" for Catalogs, Magazines". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 15 March 2016.