Charles Trudeau (politician)
Charles Laveau Trudeau (1743–1816) also known as Charles Trudeau dit Laveau or Don Carlos Trudeau, served as the acting mayor of New Orleans in 1812 (May 23 – Oct. 8). His name includes a French honorific, dit Laveau, a tradition often used to carry forward the name of a revered Woman in the family; in this case Charles' paternal great-great-grandmother, Marie Catherine de Lavaux (1621, Nancy, Meurthe-et-Moselle, France – 1688, Montreal, Québec, Canada)..
Charles Laveau Trudeau was the Surveyor General of Spanish Louisiana from the early 1780s until he resigned in 1805 (in the U.S. Territory of Orleans period), or about twenty years. His name on maps and grants is recorded as Don Carlos Trudeau. A few years later, he served as recorder, and as president, of the city council. It was during his tenure as recorder that James Mather resigned and Charles Trudeau became interim mayor.
Charles Trudeau was born in New Orleans during the French regime to Jean-Baptiste Trudeau and Marianne Carrière. He married Charlotte Perrault (or Peyraud). The couple's children were: Caroline, who married Thomas Urquhart; Celestine, who became the second wife of General James Wilkinson; Josephine, who married Manuel Andry, Jr.; and Manette, who married Dr. Josias Eliot Kerr. He is also father of Marie Laveau, whose mother was Marguerite Darcantel, a "free woman of colour".
- Trudeau administration page at New Orleans Public Library site, accessed 05 April 2015.
- John Kendall's History of Louisiana, 1922, Chapter VI, accessed 10 Sept 2015.
- "Catherine Delavaux (1621–1688)". Généalogie.Québec. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- Letter dated 28 November 1807, from Trudeau to Mayor Mather at Louisiana Digital Library, in French, with biographical profile Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 05 April 2015.
- "Dictionary of Louisiana Biography - L - Louisiana Historical Association". www.lahistory.org. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- TRUDEAU, Charles Laveau in the Louisiana Historical Association's Dictionary of Louisiana Biography
- Charles Trudeau in a New Orleans Public Library transcription of a 1940 WPA compilation.
- Charles Trudeau at Find a Grave
| Mayor of New Orleans
May 23, 1812 – October 8, 1812