Harlequin Shopping Centre
|Owner||(93%) Intu Properties, (7%) Watford Borough Council|
|Architect||Chapman Taylor Partners|
|No. of stores and services||Over 145|
|Total retail floor area||67,500 m2 (727,000 sq ft)|
|No. of floors||7 (inc. Parking)|
|Parking||2050 + 3000 (Watford Council) in Watford|
An adjoining shopping centre, Charter Place, was bought by Intu Properties in April 2013. Planning permission was granted in 2014 for Charter Place to be integrated with Intu Watford and expanded, to include a 9-screen IMAX cinema.
In 1962 there were discussions about development of the site with the plans including a ten-pin bowling alley and 130 flats.
The Sainsbury's store on Queen's Road was bought and demolished (1983) to create space for the centre and a warehouse. During the development of the centre, listed high street buildings were renovated and Queen's Road was maintained as a pedestrian cross route through the town.
Watford Council extended a resident parking permit scheme in 1996 to deal with the parking congestion that had arisen since the opening of the Centre.
Intu Properties purchased the adjoining Charter Place shopping centre from Watford Borough Council in April 2013. The company announced plans to integrate Charter Place into the main Intu Watford centre, and include a multi-screen cinema, restaurants and larger shops in the development. Planning permission was granted in January 2014 for the partial rebuild and renovation of Charter Place. Demolition work began in November 2015.
- Phillips, Derek (2013). "Case study 45: Harlequin Shopping Centre, Watford". Lighting Modern Buildings. Routledge. p. 192. ISBN 9781136387302.
- Miles, David. "Trewins sets up shop in Harlequin Centre". Watford Observer. Watford Observer. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Harlequin Centre, Watford". Shopping Centre. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- Eade, Christine. "Intu plans to complete £100m revamp of its Watford centre by the end of 2017". Property Week. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "The connected consumer – the future of shopping centres" (PDF) (Press release). Capital Shopping Centres Group. 17 January 2013. p. 11. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 February 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Intu exchanges on Charter Place shopping centre". Watford Borough Council. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Companies House WebCheck service, retrieved 6 Jun 2016
- Intellectual Property Office ref O-346-04 - objection by HEL to the registration of a similar trade mark by Capital Shopping Centres plc
- Hayes-Griffin, J.; Collis, H. (1998). "Decriminalised parking in Watford". Highways and transportation. 45 (5): 17–20. ISSN 0265-6868.
- "Intu exchanges on Charter Place shopping centre". Watford Borough Council. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Wright, Mike (1 November 2013). "New IMAX cinema planned for Watford as part of Charter Place revamp". Watford Observer. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Wright, Mike (9 January 2014). "Politicians approve plans for £100m redevelopment of Charter Place". Watford Observer. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Morby, Aaron (10 November 2015). "Laing O'Rourke replaces BAM on £110m Watford mall". Construction Enquirer. Retrieved 12 November 2015.