Market Gates Shopping Centre
|Location||Great Yarmouth, UK|
|No. of stores and services||42|
|Total retail floor area||100,000 sq ft (9,290.3 m2)|
|No. of floors||2|
|Website||Market Gates website|
The shopping centre currently houses 45 stores over 155,000 square feet (14,400.0 m2) of gross leasable area. It comprises a mostly high street brands with a smaller number of independent retailers. The centre was built in 1976 on an area which was damaged during World War II and incorporates a bus station underneath and a multi-story car park to the east. It has two main entrances from the Market Place, via a slope, and from Regent Boulevard, up escalators.
Work begun in the summer of 2007 on an expansion to the shopping centre. It involved the demolition of the old Coach House, the construction of a new concourse over the bus station and the remodelling of the centre's interiror. On 30 October 2008 the extension opened to the public, with branches of Debenhams, New Look and Starbucks. Brighthouse; a rent-to-own retailer, a card shop and two mobile phone retailers have moved in since the opening but some units remain unlet as of late-2010 possibly due to the late-2000s recession.
In early March 2012 Miller Developments formally announced that the shopping centre had entered Administration. On 2 March 2012 it was confirmed that the Administrators handling the sale of Market Gates Shopping Centre wasDeloitte Deloitte were appointed Administrators on behalf of Bank of Scotland who own the shopping centre following the transfer of ownership on 29 February.
In early March 2012, firefighters were called to deal with a blaze at the shopping centre, which involved a sign.
- "Furniture store set to close" Great Yarmouth Mercury; Retrieved 20 November 2010
- "Debenhams boost for town centre" Great Yarmouth Mercury; Retrieved 20 November 2010
- "BrightHouse to open Yarmouth store" Great Yarmouth Mercury; Retrieved 20 November 2010
- "Market Gate Shopping Centre goes into administration" BBC News; Retrieved 31 March 2012
- "Market Gates bosses assure shoppers it is business as usual" Eastern Daily Press 24 The Business; Retrieved 31 March 2012
- "Market Gates Shopping Centre in Great Yarmouth sold for £28m" Eastern Daily Press 24; Retrieved 04 March 2015
- "Plans to upgrade Great Yarmouth shopping centre" Great Yarmouth Mercury; Retrieved 04 March 2015
- "Firefighters called to blaze at Market Gates centre in Great Yarmouth" Great Yarmouth Mecury; Retrieved 04 March 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Market Gates Shopping Centre.|