|Born||1947, Cleveland Ohio|
University of California, Berkeley|
Columbia Pacific University
Chellis Glendinning is an author and social-change activist. She is noted as a pioneer in the field of ecopsychology, a proponent of bioregional land-based culture, and a critic of technological society having worked with such contemporaries as Jerry Mander, Vandana Shiva, Stephanie Mills, and Kirkpatrick Sale.
In 2007 Glendinning’s bilingual folk opera De Un Lado Al Otro, was presented at the Lensic Performing Arts Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico, directed by Robert Castro with music composed and provided by Cipriano Vigil.
- My Name Is Chellis and I’m in Recovery from Western Civilization. Gabriola BC Canada: New Society Publishers/New Catalyst/ Sustainability Classics, 2007; and Boston: Shambhala Publications, 1994.
- Chiva: A Village Takes on the Global Heroin Trade. New Society Publishers, 2005.
- Off the Map: An Expedition Deep into Empire and the Global Economy, New Society Publishers, 2002; and Off the Map: An Expedition Deep into Imperialism, the Global Economy and Other Earthly Whereabouts, Shambhala Publications, 1999.
- A Map: From the Old Connecticut Path to the Rio Grande Valley and All the Meaning In between. Great Barrington MA: E.F. Schumacher Society, 1999.
- When Technology Wounds. New York: William Morrow, 1990.
- Waking Up in the Nuclear Age. William Morrow, 1987.
- Theodore Roszak, Mary E. Gomes, and Allen D. Kanner, eds., Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth, Healing the Mind. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1995, pp. 44-54, 336; JayWalljasper and Jon Spade, eds., Visionaries: People and Ideas to Change Your Life. Gabriola Island CAN: New Society Publishers, 2001, pp. 260-263; and John Mongillo and Bibi Booth, eds., Environmental Activists. Westport CT: Greenwood Press, 2001, pp. 110-114.
- Stephanie Mills, ed., Turning Away from Technology. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1997, p. xxviii; and Z. Pascal Zachary, “Not So Fast,” Wall Street Journal, June 26, 1997.
- http://www.sfreporter.com/stories/performing_arts_books_September_12_18/1871/ Performing Arts / Books: September 12-18
- University of California Berkeley, Class of 1969; and Mongillo and Booth, pp. 110-114
- Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of California, 1969; and Mongillo and Booth, pp. 110-114.
- Accession Form #08-L13, University of Michigan/Special Collections Library. Date of Accession: 21 August 2008. Collection Name: Glendinning, Chellis, Papers. Processor: Will Lovick, 16 September 2008; http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=sclead&idno=umich-scl-glendinning