The chestnut-eared aracari (US // AHR-ə-SAHR-ee, UK // ARR-ə-SAHR-ee or // ARR-ə-KAHR-ee), or chestnut-eared araçari (Pteroglossus castanotis), is a bird native to central and south-eastern South America. It belongs to the toucan and aracari family (Ramphastidae). P. castanotis is a larger, more colorful bird than the black-necked aracari (P. aracari), which it otherwise resembles.
The range of the chestnut-eared aracari is the southern Amazon Basin, especially the southwestern of this region. It is also found in the eastern Andean foothills; a narrowing range extension enters central-southern Colombia by 900 kilometres (560 mi).
The southern Amazon Basin range narrows in the southeast to only the upstream half-headwaters of the north-flowing Amazon River tributaries. This range continues southeastwards into the central and southern cerrado and ends in the Paraná River region in eastern Paraguay, Bolivia, southeastern Brazil and the extreme northeast of Argentina.
Ischnoceran lice found on the chestnut-eared aracari were first described as Austrophilopterus cancellosus castanotus, but these parasites are actually indistinguishable from those on most other Pteroglossus, and today united with them in Austrophilopterus flavirostris.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Pteroglossus castanotis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Aracari". Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc.). Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "Definition for aracari". Oxford Dictionaries Online. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- Glayson Ariel Bencke (June 22, 2007). Avifauna atual do Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil: aspectos biogeográficos e distribucionais [The Recent avifauna of Rio Grande do Sul: Biogeographical and distributional aspects] (PDF). Quaternário do RS: integrando conhecimento. Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Roger D. Price & Jason D. Weckstein (2005). "The genus Austrophilopterus Ewing (Phthiraptera: Philopteridae) from toucans, toucanets, and araçaris (Piciformes: Ramphastidae)" (PDF excerpt). Zootaxa 918: 1–18.
- Chestnut-eared aracari videos on the Internet Bird Collection
- Chestnut-eared aracari photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Media related to Pteroglossus castanotis at Wikimedia Commons
|This Piciformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|