China Basin Landing
|China Basin Landing|
|Location||185 Berry Street|
|Town or city||San Francisco, California|
|Owner||McCarthy Cook & Co|
|Size||902,000 square feet (83,800 m2)|
China Basin Landing, now referred to as simply China Basin, is an office complex on the border of the South of Market (SoMa) and Mission Bay areas of San Francisco, California. The complex has 917,000 square feet (85,200 m2) of space. It is the headquarters of Lyft  and Dignity Health.
M. Larry Lawrence, a developer from San Diego, California, purchased the site of the China Basin Landing building in 1982. The site had a 465,000-square-foot (43,200 m2) six story existing structure, the China Basin Building, dating back to the 1920s or earlier. Lawrence spent $40 million to renovate the older building and build a new three story, 207,000 square feet (19,200 m2) office facility next to the existing structure. The new office building, which opened in 1991, was the final major office building in San Francisco to open during that year.
As an office facility, a portion originally it had three stories, while another portion had six stories. The entire facility had a total of 725,000 square feet (67,400 m2) of space. At one point the building was converted from warehouses to offices. A parking garage was established so the building owners could get a variance that permitted them to convert the building to offices.
In 1998, Blackstone Group owned the building.
McCarthy Cook & Co currently own and manage the property.
The building is close to public rail links that connect the facility to the University of California Berkeley and Stanford University. China Basin also has access to the Muni Metro N and T lines and the bus lines 10, 30, 45, and 47. A China Basin Landing shuttle service, which has no charge, connects China Basin Landing to the Financial District, the Ferry Building, and the Bay Area Rapid Transit Embarcadero Station. A UCSF shuttle service also serves the building.
Most of the facilities within China Basin Landing are offices. The complex has a parking garage which, as of 1999, has 600 spaces.
The China Basin Location of the University of California San Francisco Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics is located in the building  The UCSF Imaging Center at China Basin, of the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, is located in the building.
Up until 2015, Dropbox had its corporate headquarters in building. Dignity Health and Synopsys, among many other tenants, are in the building. Lyft also has its corporate headquarters in the building.
When Sirna Therapeutics was located at China Basin Landing, it occupied Suite 6504. Previously the Public Library of Science was located in Suite 3100. In June 2010, PLoS announced that it was moving to a new location. The SF Weekly previously occupied space in Suite 3800 The newspaper is now in a different location. KEST AM 1450, a radio station, as of 1998 had offices at China Basin landing. The radio station is now located in another facility. Department of Rehabilitation had an office in the past.
- Gordon, Rachel and Bernadette Tansey."Another biotech arrival Sirna Therapeutics moving to S.F.'s Mission Bay area." San Francisco Chronicle. Saturday March 5, 2005. C1. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- Ross, Andrew S. "JPMorgan Chase's sweet deal for China Basin space." San Francisco Chronicle. Thursday January 26, 2012. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- , Lyft Signs Lease On New China Basin Headquarters.
- Olmstead, Nancy (1986). Vanished waters: A history of San Francisco's Mission Bay. San Francisco, CA, USA: Mission Creek Conservancy. ISBN 0961149213.
- Found SF, "Mission Creek Banana Boats." Retrieved on November 20, 2014. Photo "China Basin Building along Mission Creek, 1920s."
- Greim, Lisa. "China Basin Landing ready to add tenants. (San Francisco's last major office building to open in 1991)." San Francisco Business Times. May 17, 1991. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- Dineen, J.K. "Dropbox repacks itself." San Francisco Business Times. Friday July 29, 2011. Last modified Monday August 1, 2011. 1. Retrieved on March 4, 2012.
- Cothran, George and Matt Smith. "Dog Bites." San Francisco Weekly. Wednesday July 30, 1997. Retrieved on March 3, 2012. Cited segment is "In Like Clint" by George Cothran.
- Robson, Douglas. "Bankers' warning: Credit crunch ahead." San Francisco Business Times. Sunday September 27, 1998. 1. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- Wellman, Laura. "Dog Bites." SF Weekly. Wednesday Jul 14, 1999. 1. Retrieved on March 4, 2012. Cited section is "Not in My Parking Lot"
- "San Francisco's China Basin Landing Development[permanent dead link]." Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum. November 21, 2006. Retrieved on March 4, 2012.
- "Contact PLoS." Public Library of Science. March 10, 2008. Retrieved on March 3, 2012. "U.S. Headquarters Public Library of Science 185 Berry Street, Suite 3100 San Francisco, CA 94107 USA"
- "Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics Archived 2012-06-01 at the Wayback Machine." University of California San Francisco. Retrieved on March 4, 2012. "185 Berry St., Lobby 5 5th Floor, Suite 5700 San Francisco, CA 94107-1762"
- "Location." UCSF Imaging Center at China Basin. Retrieved on March 4, 2012. "UCSF Imaging Center at China Basin 185 Berry Street, Suite 190, Lobby 6 San Francisco CA 94107"
- Dropbox to Exit Lease on Office HQ, SFist.com
- "Dropbox Terms of Service." "Dropbox, Inc. Last modified July 26, 2011. Retrieved on March 4, 2012. 185 Berry St. Ste. 400 San Francisco, CA 94107"
- "Contact Us Archived 2012-12-19 at the Wayback Machine." Dignity Health. Retrieved on October 23, 2012. "Dignity Health 185 Berry Street, Suite 300 San Francisco, CA 94107"
- "Boulder Campus." Sirna Therapeutics. March 11, 2006. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- "About SF Weekly." SF Weekly. December 5, 2000. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- "Contact Us." SF Weekly. Retrieved on March 3, 2012. "Address: 55 Francisco St. Suite 710, San Francisco, CA 94133"
- Eljera, Bert. "Going Beyond the Cover Archived 2009-01-01 at the Wayback Machine." AsianWeek. April 9–15, 1998. Retrieved on March 3, 2012.
- "Contact Information Archived 2012-02-07 at the Wayback Machine." KEST. Retrieved on March 4, 2012. "KEST Office & Studio 145 Natoma Street, 4th Fl. San Francisco, CA 94105"