Neighborhood of Phoenix
Sun Mercantile Building - South East Corner in Phoenix, AZ, last remaining building in the area once called "Chinatown"
|Area code(s)||Area code 602|
The U.S. city of Phoenix, Arizona once had a Chinatown that was started in the 1870s and lasted until the 1940s with the general population scattering throughout the city thereafter. Sources from a research project indicated that more than one Chinatown existed in the city of Phoenix, with one around First Street and Madison and a second at First and Adams Street in the present location of the Talking Stick Resort Arena.
Chinese immigrants working as railroad workers established the first Chinatown in downtown Phoenix at First and Adams Street in the present location of Talking Stick Resort Arena. All buildings have been torn down except for the Sun Mercantile Building.
- Contemporary Ethnic Geographies in America - Page 216.
- Chinese America: History and Perspectives 1991 - Page 47.
- Minorities in Phoenix: a profile of Mexican American, Chinese ... - Page xiv.
- Raising Arizona's Dams: Daily Life, Danger, and Discrimination in ... - Page 199.
- Row over Chinatown landmark stirs memories