Chris August in 2017
|Birth name||Christopher August Megert|
|Born||March 20, 1982|
|Origin||Garland, Texas, U.S.|
August began recording as a secular musician before switching to Christian music. His song "Starry Night" reached No. 1 on the Billboard Christian Songs chart in 2010/2011. He was nominated at the 2011 Dove Awards in five categories, including Best New Artist and Song of the Year.
August continued to practice and release his first self-produced album A Beautiful Thing as a 22-year-old under the name Chris Megert and the Love Jones. The album was found by Ryan Cabrera who guided August to a new manager, Jessica Simpson's father Joe Simpson. August landed a contract with Geffen Records and he moved to Los Angeles in 2005. He helped with producing records for Brian McKnight and Jessica Simpson as well as playing keyboards on Ashlee Simpson's tour; he also played as the opening act on Ashlee Simpson's tour. August's contract with Geffen fell through while they were renegotiating his contract so he went back home to Texas.
While at home, August decided to stop working on secular projects and began to work solely on Christian music. August wrote the song "Starry Night" as a demo and he received a contract from Word Records. He recorded the album No Far Away in 2010 and the song was released as a single that year. The album peaked at No. 15 on the Christian Albums charts and No. 9 on the Heatseeker Albums.
The single hit No. 1 on the Billboard Christian Songs chart and it reached No. 21 on Billboard's Heatseeker Songs. When the song topped the Christian AC Monitored chart, it was the first debut single to reach No. 1 in over three years. His second single was "7x70" which is a song about forgiveness following his parents' divorce when he was a fifth grade student.
August received five Dove Award nominations in 2011: New Artist of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year, Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year, subsequently winning New Artist of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year and Pop/Contemporary Recorded Album of the Year.
August married Katelin Cummings on February 6, 2016.
|2011||New Artist of the Year||Won|
|Male Vocalist of the Year||Won|
|Song of the Year ("Starry Night")||Nominated|
|Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Starry Night")||Nominated|
|Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (No Far Away)||Won|
- "Chris August artist page". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- Leggett, Steve. "Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- Davis, Kevin. "#140 - "Starry Night" by Chris Augus". New Release Tuesday. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "Chris August Billboard Albums". Billboard. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "Christ August chart history". Billboard. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "Chris August's 'Starry Night' Is Most Played Single In Christian Music". CM Spin. Archived from the original on December 28, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "Chris August Earns His First Ever Dove Award Nominations And Is Up For 5 Awards At The 42nd Annual Dove Awards Making Him The Most Nominated New Artist". Breathe Cast. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- "Chris August's Christmas Wish List is Coming True with His Smash No. 1 Single "Starry Night" Illuminating the 2010 Best of Lists". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "42nd Annual GMA Dove Awards nominees". 42nd GMA Dove Awards. Archived from the original on July 10, 2011. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "Chris August Gets Married". newreleasetoday.com. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
| GMA's New Artist of the Year