||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||April 4, 1978|
|Alma mater||University of Washington Athens State University|
|Notable works||The Art of Non-Conformity, The $100 Startup|
Chris Guillebeau is an American nonfiction author, blogger and speaker. He is best known for The Art of Non-Conformity blog and book. He has also written guides for travel and small business topics under the brand Unconventional Guides. He organizes the annual World Domination Summit in Portland, Oregon.
The Art of Non-Conformity blog discusses entrepreneurship, travel, and personal development topics; its traffic grew substantially after the online publication of A Brief Guide to World Domination in 2008. The site has an Alexa ranking of under 30,000 and is among the top 15,000 most visited sites in the United States.
Early and personal life
Guillebeau is a graduate of University of Washington and of Athens State University. He volunteered with Mercy Ships, a medical charity, in West Africa from 2002-2006. He cites that experience as a pivotal point in his life that led him to his quest to do community service and fundraising, topics featured in his writing.
Guillebeau lives in Portland with his wife, Jolie. He spent years working to travel to every country in the world by age 35. On April 4, 2013, Chris visited the final country in his journey to visit all 193 countries, although it should be noted that his visit to Eritrea consisted of nothing more than time in Asmara International Airport and his visit to North Korea consisted of visiting the negotiation hut in the DMZ between North and South Korea. The last country was Norway where he held a party.
Guillebeau published The Art of Non-Conformity following the success of the blog. Guillebeau has stated that all proceeds from the book will be donated to Charity:Water. From September 2010 to January 2011, Guillebeau stopped in 63 cities from among every US state and Canadian province to promote the book.
Guillebeau's second book, The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future, was released on May 8, 2012. It reached #6 in its respective category on the New York Times' bestseller list.
Guillebeau released his third book, The Happiness of Pursuit, on September 9, 2014.
His fourth book, Born For This, is set to release April 5, 2016.
Guillebeau has released four books thus far.
|The Art of Non-Conformity||September 7, 2010||256||Penguin Group|
|The $100 Startup||May 8, 2012||304||Crown Business|
|The Happiness of Pursuit||September 9, 2014||306||Harmony Books|
|Born For This||April 5, 2016||320||Crown Business|
- Steve, Kamb (2016). Level Up Your Life. p. 266. ISBN 1623365406.
- "World Domination Summit FAQ". Chris Guillebeau. Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "The Best Travelled - UN Master List" Archived 2016-02-21 at the Wayback Machine., The Best Travelled Retrieved 21 February 2016
- Upon Being Deported from Eritrea
- RAYMOND, JOAN (April 20, 2009). "FREQUENT FLIER: A Plan to See Every Country on Earth by the Age of 35". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Behan, Rosemary (Oct 8, 2011). "The Practical Traveller's fantastical five-year plan". thenational.ae. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "Special Broadcast from the End of the World : The Art of Non-Conformity". chrisguillebeau.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- Unconventional Book Tour
- Ellsberg, Michael (6/04/2012). "The $100 Higher Education: Chris Guillebeau on Inexpensive Startups as Real-World Education". Forbes.com. Retrieved 8 January 2013. Check date values in:
- NYT Bestseller List  accessed 30 April 2013
- "Born For This by Chris Guillebeau | PenguinRandomHouse.com". PenguinRandomhouse.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- Anderson Cooper 360: Chris Guillebeau
- Business Week Writer's Page[permanent dead link]
- "Amazon.com: Chris Guillebeau: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- chrisguillebeau on Twitter
- Interview with Chris on his $100 Startup Book
- Peterson, Erin (5/9/2011). "8 credit card strategies of frequent-flier pros". MSNBC. Retrieved 8 January 2013. Check date values in:
- Kralev, Nicholas (February 2, 2009). "Round-the-world fares rise, but remain a deal". The Washington Times. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- YouTube Fox Business
- ChrisGuillebeau.com Official Site