Christchurch trolleybus turntable
|Christchurch trolleybus turntable|
The turntable on 5 April 1969, shortly before its closure.
Location within England
|Inaugurated||19 June 1936|
|Client||Bournemouth Corporation Transport|
The Christchurch trolleybus turntable formed part of the Bournemouth trolleybus system, which served the town of Bournemouth and its environs, on the south coast of England. It is still in existence, and is now a Grade II listed building.
Manually operated, the turntable remained in use until the closure of the Bournemouth trolleybus system on 20 April 1969 Cables leading from the overhead wires (positive and negative) to a pole-mounted switchbox near the entrance to the yard in which the turntable was situated are evidence that at one time power operation of the turntable was contemplated but there is no record that this was ever done..
The Christchurch turntable is said to be one of only four trolleybus turntables ever to have been constructed worldwide. Two other such turntables are the similarly abandoned Longwood trolleybus turntable, in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England (in operation 1939–1940; demolished late 1980s), and the Unterburg trolleybus turntable in Solingen, Germany (still in use for heritage trolleybus services). A fourth known trolleybus turntable was one used on the Guadalajara trolleybus system in Mexico in the 1980s, in a since-closed trolleybus-only tunnel in the city centre, on a temporary basis in 1982–1983 and again from 1985 until early 1988 (when the tunnel closed for the start of work to convert it for use by Guadalajara's light rail system).
- "Grade II and II* listed buildings in Christchurch". Dorset For You. Retrieved 3 March 2011.
- Joyce, J.; King, J. S.; and Newman, A. G. (1986). British Trolleybus Systems, pp. 28–32, 159. London: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0-7110-1647-X.
- Morgan, Steve (September–October 1990). "Mexico Review: Part 1". Trolleybus Magazine No. 173, p. 104. ISSN 0266-7452.
- Bowler, David R H (2001). Bournemouth Trolleybuses. Yateley, Hampshire, UK: Trolleybooks. ISBN 978-0-904235-19-7.
- Chalk, D L (1969). Bournemouth Trolleybuses. Bournemouth, Hampshire, UK: Bournemouth Corporation.
- Pearce, Malcolm N (1998). Bournemouth Trolleybuses. Midhurst, West Sussex, UK: Middleton Press. ISBN 978-1-901706-10-9.
Media related to Trolleybuses in Bournemouth at Wikimedia Commons
- Bournemouth Corporation Trolley Buses: A Brief History
- Bournemouth trolleybus picture gallery - including images and description of the turntable.