This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Città di Ciampino|
Top-view of Ciampino downtown
location of Ciampino in the Metropolitan City of Rome Capital
|Metropolitan city||Rome (RM)|
|• Mayor||Giovanni Terzulli (PD)|
|• Total||11 km2 (4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||124 m (407 ft)|
(30 April 2009)
|• Density||3,500/km2 (9,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Sacred Heart of Jesus|
|Saint day||19 days after Pentecost|
Ciampino (pronounced [tʃamˈpiːnɔ]) is a city and comune in the Metropolitan City of Rome, Lazio, Italy. It was a frazione of Marino until 1974, when it became a comune; it obtained the city (Italian: città) status (being therefore officially known as Città di Ciampino) in 2004 by a presidential decree.
It is best known for the local "Giovan Battista Pastine" International Airport, best known as Rome Ciampino, a military airport which also hosts several civil flights, especially from low-cost companies such as Ryanair. The city is named after Giovanni Giustino Ciampini, a religious, scientist and archaeologist who lived here in the 17th century. It grew from 5,000 inhabitants in 1951 to 28,000 in 1971. Today, the city has circa 37,000 inhabitants.
A.S.D. Polisportiva Ciampino and Polisportiva Città di Ciampino (Pol.D. Città di Ciampino) were the football clubs of the city. The first team of Città di Ciampino withdrew from Eccellenza Lazio in 2018, focusing on youth sector.
In the past, the city had another club, Associazione Polisportiva Dilettantistica Ciampino, which was folded in 2014 by selling its position in the league to A.S.D. Trastevere Calcio.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Climate Summary for Ciampino, Italy
- "Ufficiale Città di Ciampino: niente Eccellenza il prossimo anno". Gazzetta Regionale (in Italian). Rome: Penna a Sfera Edizioni. 16 July 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- Official website (in Italian, English, French, Portuguese, German, and Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ciampino.|
|This Lazio location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|