Cibola High School (Yuma, Arizona)
|Cibola High School|
|4100 W. 20th St.
Yuma, Arizona 85364
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Yuma Union High School District|
|Enrollment||2,585 students (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||Black and gold|
Cibola High School is a high school for the west side of Yuma, Arizona, United States. It was the third high school opened by the Yuma Union High School District upon its 1988 establishment. The name derives from the Seven Cities of Gold, also known as "Cibola".
Cibola High School's academics rank highly above any other public school in the city. With the integration of core classes, electives and extra curricular activities, Cibola students maintain a high manner of discipline and work effort. Over 75% of students who graduate Cibola High School will go onto some other form of secondary education.
Activities and clubs
Cibola hosts various clubs and activities, including the Gifted and Talented Education Club, the Outdoors Activities Klub, the Cibola Spirit Line, the Raider Band, the Cibola Choir, the Cibola Student Council, Thespian Troupe 5060, Raider Nation, the Photo Club, multiple language clubs (including Spanish and French), the yearbook, the Anime Club and over 25 more clubs and activities throughout the year. In addition, many activities for student bonding and community service happen every year. These activities include homecoming, prep rallies, food fair/car show, the Cibola PINK football game, biannual blood drive, Winter Formal, Prom, and the dodgeball tournament.
The 2010–11 season was the most successful in school history. On October 1, 2010, Cibola had the biggest win in school history, over Chandler's Basha High School, a 9–2 overall record to end the season, and earned a spot to host a playoff game for the first time in school history.
- Efrain Escudero, NJCAA All-American wrestler; professional mixed martial artist, winner of The Ultimate Fighter 8, UFC lightweight
- Edgar Garcia, Arizona State Wrestling Champion 2002; professional MMA fighter, UFC welterweight veteran
- Kelvin Gastelum, state champion wrestler; professional mixed martial arts fighter, winner of The Ultimate Fighter 17, undefeated UFC welterweight
- AIA 2012 enrollment figures
- "Efrain Escudero UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- "Kelvin Gastelum UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
|This Arizona school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|