- The UFC's welterweight division, which groups competitors within 156 to 170 lb (71 to 77 kg)
- Shooto's welterweight class, for competitors between 145 and 155 lb (65.8 and 70.3 kg)
- ONE Championship's welterweight limits between 171 and 185 lb (77.2 to 83.9 kg)
Ambiguity and clarification
Many other sports that use the welterweight class, such as boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai, define it as below about 147 lbs. The MMA welterweight class is therefore significantly heavier than the welterweight class of these other sports. For the sake of uniformity, many American mixed martial arts websites refer to competitors between 156 and 170 lb (71 and 77 kg) as welterweights. This encompasses the Shooto middleweight division (167 lb / 76 kg).
This table is not always up to date. Last updated on July 30, 2017
|UFC||July 30, 2016||Tyron Woodley||16-3 (6KO 5SUB)||1†|
|Bellator MMA||November 10, 2016||Douglas Lima||28-6 (13KO 11SUB)||0|
|WSOF||April 2, 2016||Jon Fitch||28-7-1 (5KO 5SUB)||0|
|ONE Championship||August 29, 2014||Ben Askren||15-0 (4KO 4SUB)||1|
†= Fight was recorded as a "Majority Decision Draw"
- List of current MMA Welterweight champions
- List of UFC Welterweight Champions
- List of Strikeforce Welterweight Champions
- List of Pancrase Welterweight Champions
- "UFC Rules, As Approved By The Nevada State Athletic Commission". UFC. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". http://www.leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20. External link in
- "Unified Rules of MMA". Association of Boxing Commissions. Retrieved 2012-07-15.