This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The City Summit is an annual speaker summit, award show, and fundraising event founded by Ryan Long often held on the evening of the Grammy Awards or the Academy Awards. The ceremony honors the most successful people in various industries, including science, entertainment, business, and philanthropy. The City Gala's purpose is to support and raise awareness about solving the world's global grand challenges. The Gala's purpose is to work with startup non-profit charitable organizations.
The 2018 City Gala was announced in November 2017 and will be taking place on the evening of the 90th Academy Awards at Universal Studios in Hollywood, California. The keynote speaker will be actor, businessman, philanthropist, and co-founder of the Thorn Foundation, Ashton Kutcher. In February, the City Gala announced that Matthew McConaughey will be the inspiration award honoree. Matthew McConaughey is the founder of the charitable foundation, Just Keep Livin.
The 2017 City Gala was announced in February 2017 and will take place on the evening of the 59th Annual Grammy Awards at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. The guest speaker will be featuring John Travolta. Jeff Timmons, of the Grammy-nominated pop group 98 Degrees will serve as the City Gala 2017 emcee, and best selling author and business conference leader Greg Reid will moderate the event. The keynote speaker will be hip hop music legend Russell Simmons who will also be one of the honorees. The 2017 event is supporting the International Arts & Philanthropy Foundation (IAP), which provides funding in support of arts, education, early childhood development, and the Breed Life program which supports and facilitates the gift of life through live organ donation.
The 2016 City Gala was announced in January 2016 and will take place on the evening of the 58th Annual Grammy Awards at the Playboy Mansion. The keynote speaker will be entrepreneur tycoon Richard Branson who will also be one of the honorees. Other honorees announced for the evening include entrepreneur John Paul DeJoria and astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The event will be hosted by former 98 Degrees member Jeff Timmons.
The first reported City Gala took place on the night of the 86th Academy Awards in 2014. The ceremony featured a keynote speech from director James Cameron. Notable honorees included Charlize Theron, Sean Penn, and Halle Berry with music from Ne-Yo and Paris Hilton. Other confirmed attendees included Tyrese Gibson, Zendaya, and Gene Simmons.
- Gardner, Chris (3 January 2016). "Richard Branson Booked for Keynote Address at City Gala's Playboy Mansion-Set Fundraiser". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "Ashton Kutcher Brings His Influence--and Innovation--to a New Venue: 2018 City Summit". 8 November 2017.
- "Matthew McConaughey to Receive 2018 Inspiration Honoree Award at Third Annual City Gala (Exclusive)". 26 February 2018.
- "Second Annual City Gala and City Summit to Feature John Travolta, Halle Berry, Quincy Jones". 7 February 2017.
- "Second Annual City Gala to Feature John Travolta, Two-Time Academy Award-Nominated and Golden Globe & Emmy Award Winning Actor, as Special Guest Speaker". 6 February 2017.
- "UPDATED: Entrepreneur Leverages Celebrities' Influence For Charity". 1 March 2017.
- "Entrepreneurship and Philanthropy to Take Center Stage at Star-Studded Gala". 7 February 2017. Archived from the original on 14 February 2018. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Richard Branson to Give Keynote Address at City Gala's Post-Grammys Fundraiser". Billboard. Billboard Magazine. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "Diddy to Join Richard Branson at CITY Gala Fundraiser". 10 February 2016.
- "Buzz Aldrin To Be Honored At City Gala Fundraiser". Look to the Stars. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "City Gala Fundraiser Honors Buzz Aldrin and John Paul DeJoria on February 15, 2016". KTEN. NBC. Retrieved 8 February 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Diddy to Host Post-Grammys City Gala Fundraiser at Playboy Mansion". 10 February 2016.
- Block, Alex Ben (4 February 2014). "James Cameron, Charlize Theron, Bill Clinton Among Participants In New Oscar Week Charity Events". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- Gray, Tim. "Oscars Parties: Governors Ball, Elton John and the Inaugural Fame & Philanthropy Party". Variety Magazine. Retrieved 8 February 2016.