This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||26 April 1978|
|Current team||Kovarik Racing|
|CAN DH National Champion (2 Wins)|
Claire Buchar (born 26 April 1978, in Whistler, Canada), also known as Claire Kovarik, is a professional racing cyclist specialising in downhill mountain biking. Buchar races on the UCI World Cup circuit and is a multiple Canadian national champion in her profession and is a multiple World Cup medalist.
Buchar started competitive cycling when she was 20 years old and placed 2nd in her first National race.
Buchar has been a member of the Chain Reaction Cycles/Intense Cycles' MTB Race team since 2009. She has been a member of the Canadian National Downhill team since 2000 and studies graphic design part-time when she's not racing. She finished in 6th place in the 2009 National Championships in Canberra, Australia and more recently finished in first place in the Australian National Downhill Championships.
Media and accomplishments
- Canadian National Team member
- World Cup Podium, round 1 South Africa 2009
- Top 10 World Cup racer
- Canadian National Champion 2009
- Winner of Womenzworx and the Gala at Crankworx 2009
- Nominated for International Cyclist of the Year 2009
- Cover of Bicycling South Africa April 2009
- Voted one of the "26 Most Influential People in Mountain Biking", Decline Magazine January 2008
- Cover of Mountain Bike Magazine USA June 2008
Racing & competition
- 2009 Canadian National Champion
- 2009 World Cup Series, 9th Overall
- 2009 World Cup Peitermaritzburg South Africa 5th
- 2009 World Cup Ft Bill Scotland 8th
- 2009 World Cup Maribor Slovenia 10th
- 2009 World Cup Bromont Quebec 7th
- 2009 World Cup Finals Scladming Austria 8th
- 2009 World Championships Canberra Australia 6th
- 2009 Sprint Avalanche Cup Alp Duez France 2nd
- 2009 Megavalanche Alp Duez France 9th
- 2009 Wheels of Speed Willingen Germany 1st
- 2009 Womenzworx freeride comp Whistler Canada 1st
- 2009 The Gala slopestyle comp Whistler Canada 1st
- 2008 World Cup Series, 8th Overall
- 2008 World Cup MSA Canada 6th
- 2008 World Cup Bromont Canada 6th
- 2008 World Cup Finals Schladming Austria 9th
- 2008 the Gala, all women's freeride event at Crankworx 3rd
- 2007 the Gala, all women's freeride event at Crankworx 1st
- 2006 World Cup Vigo Spain 10th
- 2006, 2007, 2008 -3 time winner- RedBull Mt Seven Psychosis, Golden Canada
- Graves, Peter (2010-03-14). "Mountain bike World Cup returns to UK, America". Universal Sports. NBC. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- SUN WIRE SERVICES (2009-09-07). "Sports Sunflashes". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "Husband and wife team victorious in downhill / Kovarik, Buchar fly to downhill wins in Canberra". Cycling News. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "UCI Results – Mountain Bike 2010". Retrieved 2010-04-30.