Clare Nancy Russell
She married Oliver Henry Russell in 1967, the second son of Admiral Hon. Sir Guy Russell and his wife Hon. Helen Elizabeth Blades, daughter of Rowland Blades, 1st Baron Ebbisham. They have three children: Guy Ewan (born 1968) who assumed the surname of Macpherson Grant of Ballindalloch; Edward Oliver (born 1970); and Lucy Clare Nancy (born 1972).
Upon the death of her father in 1983, Russell inherited Ballindalloch Castle and its estate. She has been Chair of Queen Mary’s Clothing Guild (Scotland) since 1986 and has served on the main board of the Children's Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS) for six years. She has also been involved with the Moray Health Council, the National Trust for Scotland, and the Scotland Garden Scheme.
In 1991, she was appointed Deputy Lieutenant for Banffshire, becoming Vice Lord Lieutenant in 1998. She succeeded J.A.S. McPherson as Lord Lieutenant in 2002, becoming Banffshire's first lady Lord Lieutenant. Since being appointed Russell has been a champion of the county (whose administrative area was abolished in 1975). She led a campaign to have road signs marking the historic county's boundaries reinstated in 2008.
As Clare Macpherson-Grant Russell, she has published two cookery books, "I Love Food" and "I Love Food 2".
- "Lord-Lieutenant for the Area of Banffshire". Press Release from Number 10 Downing Street. 20 November 2002. Retrieved 26 July 2009.
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage 1959. London: Burke's Peerage, 1959.
- Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage 2008. London: Debrett, 2008.
- "What's in a name?". Banffshire Journal. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 26 July 2009.
- "I Love Food by Claire Macpherson-Grant Russell". Ballindalloch Castle.
- "No. 61962". The London Gazette (Supplement). 17 June 2017. p. B4.
James Alexander Strachan McPherson
| Lord Lieutenant of Banffshire
2002 to date