The Clerget 9B was a nine-cylinder rotary aircraft engine of the World War I era designed by Pierre Clerget. Manufactured in both France and Great Britain (Gwynnes Limited), it was used on such aircraft as the Sopwith Camel. The Clerget 9Bf was an increased stroke version.
- Clerget 9B
(1913) 130 hp (97 kW). 1,300 produced by Ruston Proctor & Co Ltd of Lincoln
- Clerget 9Bf
(1915) 140 hp (104 kW). Extended stroke (172 mm (6.75 in)) version, increasing capacity to 17.5 L (1,066.5 cu in). 1,750 produced by Gwynnes Limited and 600 produced by Ruston Proctor.
Engines on display
Specifications (Clerget 9B)
Data from Lumsden.
- Type: Nine-cylinder air-cooled rotary engine
- Bore: 120 mm (4.72 in)
- Stroke: 9B: 160 mm (6.30 in), 9Bf: 172 mm (6.77 in)
- Displacement: 9B: 16.29 l (994.08 cu in), 9Bf: 17.5 l (1,067.92 cu in)
- Length: 920 mm (36.22 in)
- Diameter: 9B: 1,020 mm (40.15 in), 9Bf: 1,030 mm (40.55 in)
- Dry weight: 173 kg (381 lb)
- Valvetrain: Single inlet and exhaust valves operated by pushrods and rockers
- Fuel system: Bloctube carburettor
- Fuel type: Gasoline mixed with Castor oil lubricant
- Oil system: Castor oil mixed with fuel
- Cooling system: Air-cooled
- Power output: 9B: 96.94 kW (130 hp) at 1,250 rpm, 9Bf: 104.40 kW (140 hp) at 1,250 rpm
- Specific power: 9B: 0.1308 hp/cu in (5.953 kW/l), 9Bf: 0.131 hp/cu in (5.966 kW/l)
- Compression ratio: 9B: 4.56:1, 9Bf: 5.3:1
- Specific fuel consumption: 9B: 0.564 l/kW/hour(0.74 pt/hp/hour), 9Bf: 0.45 l/kW/hour(0.59 pt/hp/hour)
- Oil consumption: 9B: 0.0686 l/kW/hour (0.09 0.11 pt/hp/hour), 9Bf: 0.0838 l/kW/hour (0.11 pt/hp/hour)
- Power-to-weight ratio: 9B: 0.563 kW/kg (0.341 hp/lb), 9Bf: 0.556 kW/kg (0.337 hp/lb)
- Related development
- Comparable engines
- Related lists
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clerget 9B.
- Gunston, Bill. World Encyclopaedia of Aero Engines. Cambridge, England. Patrick Stephens Limited, 1989. ISBN 978-1-85260-163-8
- Lumsden, Alec. British Piston Engines and their Aircraft. Marlborough, Wiltshire: Airlife Publishing, 2003. ISBN 978-1-85310-294-3.
- Grey, C.G. (1969). Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1919 (Facsimile ed.). David & Charles (Publishing) Limited. pp. 1b to 145b. ISBN 978-0-7153-4647-1.