Climate Science Legal Defense Fund
The Climate Science Legal Defense Fund (CSLDF) is a not-for-profit organization established in 2011 to provide legal assistance to researchers and institutions engaged in climate science facing legal challenges from private entities such as think tanks and legal foundations.
In 2012, CSLDF formally affiliated with Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, a nonprofit providing aid and advice to government whistleblowers and scientists working on environmental issues.
CSLDF claims that many legal actions against climate scientists intend to secure their silence for purely political reasons or to stifle their research. According to CSLDF, litigation has intensified against climate scientists in recent years, and salaries earned by academicians and researchers are often inadequate to pay for litigation defending against "corporate-funded law firms and institutes.”
- Climate Science Legal Defense Fund website, last visited 12 Jan. 2016, http://climatesciencedefensefund.org/about-us
- New York Times, 25, Jan. 2011, "A Legal Defense Fund for Climate Scientists," http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/a-legal-defense-fund-for-climate-scientists/?src=recg
- CSLDF amicus brief to Arizona Court of Appeals, http://climatesciencedefensefund.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Brief-for-Amicus-Curiae-CSLDF-in-Support-of-Appellees.pdf
- "Defending Science @ Fall Meeting" 12-2014 guest post on AGU website "The Bridge", https://thebridge.agu.org/2014/12/03/defending-science-fall-meeting/
- "Facing Legal Attack: Scientists Tell Their Stories," session at 2013 AGU Fall Meeting, last visited Jan. 12, 2016 http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/events/facing-legal-attack-scientists-tell-their-stories/
- "Legal Education Webinar Series" videos of CSLDF-sponsored sessions at 2013 AGU Fall Meeting, last visited Jan. 13, 2016 http://sharingscience.agu.org/inform-policy/legal-education-webinar-series/
- "2014 Form 770" (PDF). GuideStar. Retrieved 25 February 2017.