|Ceased operation||September 2011|
|Service type||Coach charter services|
Clipper Tours was an Australian coach operator in Sydney.
In October 1985 the business was sold to Australian Rambler Coaches, Melbourne proprietor Don Nugent and Jim Hawkesford. In March 1994 it was sold to Ross Adair. In the late 1980s a depot was established in Canberra with an express service from Sydney to Canberra commencing in March 1989. This ceased in October 1990 with the Canberra depot closed.
In January 1997 the business was purchased by Driver Group. Driver’s primary interest in Clipper Tours was the Gray Line franchise that it held. Having separated this from the business, Clipper Tours was sold back to the Deane family in February 1998. The Deanes by now had sold their North Shore operation and were operating South Trans. By this stage the operation had relocated from Macquarie Park to Waterloo.
In 2002 Clipper Tours was placed in administration. The trading name was purchased by former owner Jim Hawkesford with some of his Hawkesfords Coaches fleet having Clipper signwriting applied. In September 2011 Hawkesfords was placed in administration and liquidated.
When Ron Deane purchased the business in 1964 it consisted of three Bedfords. By 1969 the fleet had grown to 13 coaches. In November 1970 the first of many Denning coaches was purchased. It later purchased Mercedes-Benz O302s and Domino products, no doubt helped by Dennis Deane being a Domino sales representative. It then purchased MAN, Mercedes-Benz O303 and Scania coaches. Under Deane’s ownership Clipper Tours livery was a variation of the yellow with white and blue Deanes Coaches livery. Following its sale in October 1985 the white with maroon and blue of Australian Rambler Coaches was adopted. When sold back to Deane’s a variation of the South Trans livery was introduced.
- "Denning Monocoaches at Clipper Tours" Fleetline September 1993 page 186
- "Clipper Tours" Australian Bus Panorama 10/2 August 1994 page 50
- "Clipper Tours" Australian Bus Panorama 5/1 July 1989 page 45
- "Clipper Tours" Australian Bus Panorama 6/5 January 1991 page 37
- "Private operators" Fleetline January 1997 page 29
- "Driver Bus Lines" Australian Bus Panorama 12/4 February 1997 page 47
- About Us Driver Group
- "Clipper Tours" Fleetline January 1999 page 27
- Clipper Tours appoints administrator Archived 27 June 2013 at Archive.is Australasian Bus & Coach
- "Deane's Transit Group Queanbeyan-Canberra" Australian Bus March 2013 page 10