No Way Back/Cold Day in the Sun
|"No Way Back"/"Cold Day in the Sun"|
|Single by Foo Fighters|
|from the album In Your Honor|
|Released||March 13, 2006|
|Genre||Post-grunge, hard rock ("No Way Back")
Alternative rock, acoustic rock ("Cold Day in the Sun")
|Length||3:17 ("No Way Back")
3:23 ("Cold Day in the Sun")
|Producer(s)||Nick Raskulinecz, Foo Fighters|
|Foo Fighters singles chronology|
|No Way Back promo version/digital download cover|
"No Way Back"/"Cold Day in the Sun" is the fourth single released from Foo Fighters' fifth album In Your Honor. It is a double A-side single, including "No Way Back" and "Cold Day in the Sun", which is from the second disc of the album.
"Cold Day in the Sun" is the first original song that features drummer Taylor Hawkins on lead vocals, while lead singer Dave Grohl plays drums. Hawkins wrote the music for the song in 2001. During pre-production of In Your Honor, Hawkins played the song on an acoustic guitar and suggested that Grohl record it. While an electric version was considered, it eventually ended on the acoustic album. Hawkins wrote the lyrics the morning before the song was recorded, and considered them sub-par: "To be honest, the lyrics suck, It's more about the melody. And Dave always said he liked it, and I was like, 'Yeah, bull.'"
The video for "No Way Back" shows clips of the band on tour, mainly in Europe, including Dave Grohl spitting beer on the crowd and playing ice hockey.
Use in other media
"Cold Day in the Sun" was featured on the Skin and Bones DVD (US version, recorded late August 2006 at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles), and Foo Fighters Live at Wembley Stadium DVD (filmed on the 7th June 2008) as well as the special concert for Live on Letterman (filmed April 12, 2011) Taylor Hawkins is featured singing and drumming, whilst Dave Grohl is featured on acoustic guitar and backup vocals. No Way Back was featured on Foo Fighters Live at Wembley Stadium DVD.
- A. "No Way Back" – 3:17
- A. "Cold Day in the Sun" – 3:23
- B. "Best of You" (Live at the Supertop, Auckland, New Zealand; 26 November 2005) – 6:23
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||64|
|UK Rock and Metal (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||6|
- Foo Fighters Showcasing Their Softer Side On Upcoming Tour
- ""We're doing things I never imagined" - Dave On The Acoustic Side Of 'In Your Honour'". NME. 2005.
- "Track By Track". Rhythm. July 2005.
- "Madden NFL 06 Soundtrack - Music News at IGN". Music.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Foo Fighters: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "Archive Chart: 2006-03-19" UK Rock Chart. Retrieved April 16, 2017.
- "Foo Fighters – Chart history" Billboard Alternative Songs for Foo Fighters. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "Foo Fighters – Chart history" Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs for Foo Fighters. Retrieved November 16, 2016.