Colfax High School (Colfax, California)
|Colfax High School|
|24995 Ben Taylor Rd.
Colfax, California 95713
|Type||Public High School|
|School board||Placer Union High|
|NCES District ID||0630750|
|NCES School ID||063075004781|
|Principal||Paul Lundberg |
|Average class size||25–27|
|Campus size||40 acres (160,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Rival||Placer High School|
|Average SAT scores||1606|
Colfax High School is a four-year public high school in Colfax, California in the United States. It is in the Placer Union High School District in Placer County. The school currently serves about 700 students living between Auburn, Grass Valley, and Alta/Dutch Flat. The school itself is located on 40 acres (16 ha) in the Bear River valley north of downtown Colfax and adjacent to Colfax Elementary School.
The student body self-identified as 85.3% white, the average classroom size is 25–27, and there are 3.6 students per computer. Students are also given chromebooks as of 2014. 95% of the teachers have a full credential and the average length of time they have been teaching is 19 years. The graduation rate is 100.0% as of the 2007-08 academic year.
Colfax High's mascot is the falcon, school colors are green and white.
Colfax High offers 10 AP classes in subjects including English, Calculus, Statistics, Physics, Microeconomics, U.S. Government, Environmental Science, and U.S. History. 36.2% of 2008 Colfax High graduates completed the UC/CSU high school course requirements.
Clubs and activities
Media and fine arts
Colfax High School has a drama program that operates as Creators of Riveting Entertainment a backronym of C.O.R.E. The drama program uses Colfax High's 500 seat performing arts center finished in 2003, inaugurated with a performance of Shakespeare's The Comedy of Errors in 2004. In 2011, C.O.R.E. launched its first musical production, Guys and Dolls. The musical theater program continued into the next year with a production of How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. The school also has a chamber choir program, which has won the Gold award at the WorldStrides Heritage Music Festival for 15 consecutive seasons. Other student media includes a yearbook (The Evergreen), a magazine (The Pulse), and from 1981-2011 a yearly calendar produced by the art program. It has in the past had a film and media class (Thunderpaw Multimedia), as well as an apparel store (Greenline Inc.). The film and media class used to produce yearly video yearbooks and short films, a few of which won awards.
In addition to artistic and media programs, Colfax hosts activities for students interested in community service, politics, athletics, technology, dance, and science. The school Service Club, or S-Club, works with the local Soroptimists to provide for the community. Colfax's JSA Club is a chapter of the Junior State of America, and in 2012 won the statewide JSA Chapter of the Year award.
Colfax High fields Cross Country, Track, Tennis, Volleyball, Baseball, Soccer, Softball, Golf, Swim, Football, Basketball, Cheer, and Wrestling teams in the Pioneer Valley League, as well as Nordic Skiing, Alpine Skiing, and Snowboarding teams in the CNISSF league. Colfax is a Division IV or III school depending on the sport. Colfax is part of the Sac-Joaquin Section for most sports (excluding Nordic Skiing, Alpine Skiing, and Snowboarding). Golf: Trevor Brewer and Will Biles made it to sections in 2015. JV and Varsity Cheer won 1st place at JAMZ CHAMPIONSHIPS in 2014.
The Division IV Colfax High Falcons football rival is traditionally Bear River High School in Nevada County. In 2011–2012, Colfax went 11–1 and claimed the PVL title for the seventh time in nine years. Hunter Perez set school records that season for touchdowns (33) and total yards (2,003).
In 2009, Pat Rawlins set the school record for yards rushed in a single game with 279 rushing yards.
Skiing and snowboarding
The Colfax girls ski team won the 2012 California state championship for downhill skiing. Teagan Santin led the Colfax team and won the individual title for all-around downhill. CHS athlete Nelly Steinhoff was the state champion in girls snowboarding in the same year.
Track and field
In 2008 an all-weather track was placed around the football field.
- Matthew Medlin, class of 1996, produced the film Obselidia, a Sundance Film Festival award winner in 2010.
- Ed Herrnberger, class of 1996, Big West Pitcher of the Year for University of Pacific 1999.
- Justin Powell, class of 1996, Founder of American Pure Pool Service, California's largest pool service company.
- Bill Shinn, Class of 1986, Athlete of the Year
- "School Accountability Report Card Reported for School Year 2007-08" (PDF). School Accountability Report Card (SARC). 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Placer Union High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "School Accountability Report Card Reported for School Year 2008-09" (PDF). School Accountability Report Card (SARC). 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Colfax High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "About Colfax". Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times". Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- Colfax High School – Colfax, California – CA – school overview
- Student Teacher Ratio Colfax High School – Colfax, California – CA
- "CHS Course Catalogue". Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Colfax High School Warms Up for Show". Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Colfax Community Calendar". Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Colfax Chamber Choir - About US". Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Students Produce Colfax High Magazine". Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Colfax High School Clubs". Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Colfax Soroptimists Gear Up for Holidays". Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "John Burroughs H.S. JSA Wins National Civic Impact Award". Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "California Nevada Interscholastic Ski and Snowboard Federation: Coach Information". Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "SJS LEAGUE ALIGNMENT 2006-2010". Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Falcons Rout Zebras, 56-14; Cinch PVL Tie & No. 1 Playoff Berth". Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "Falcons Dominate All-PVL Picks". Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "Rawlins runs wild as Colfax crushes El Dorado". Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "Freshman Leads Colfax to Ski Championship at Northstar". Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Boys Basketball At Colfax High Keeps On Winning". Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Game of thrones: Colfax claims PVL crown with win over Lincoln boys". Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "Lady Falcons Dominate All-PVL Picks". Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Colfax girls clinch a share of PVL title with Bear River, Placer". Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- McClintock, Pamela (2010-01-29). "'Obselidia' wins Sundance's Sloan Prize". Variety. Retrieved 2011-02-06.