Colin A. Ross
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Colin A. Ross, M.D.|
July 14, 1950 |
Colin A. Ross, M.D. is a psychiatrist and was president of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation from 1993 to 1994.
Dr. Ross works in the Ross Institute for Psychological Trauma, a hospital in the Dallas, Texas area. He also directs a trauma program at Forest View Psychiatric Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Most of the people the Ross Institute treats describe very traumatic and abusive childhoods.
Dr. Ross has also produced several documentaries and educational films about Dissociative Identity Disorder. In 1999, he teamed with producer James Myer in the making of Personality: Reality and Illusion. The docu-drama featured Chris Costner Sizemore, a woman that became famous because of a rare diagnosis (at that time) of Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). Ms. Sizemore's life was portrayed by Joanne Woodward in the Fox motion picture The Three Faces of Eve.
In the past Dr. Ross was contractor of psycho-pharmaceutical companies; he has been called to participate in neuroleptic trials and continues to publish in the American Journal of Psychiatry.
Repressed memory controversy
It would be inaccurate to characterize Dr. Ross as supporting the controversial repressed memory hypothesis. In his writings, e.g., Trauma Model Therapy: A Treatment Approach for Trauma, Dissociation and Complex Comorbidity, he makes a clear distinction between repression and dissociation.
Contributions to Science
Dr. Ross has written several books about psychiatry and related subjects. Some of these books are:
- Dissociative Identity Disorder (2nd edition 1996. First edition titled: Multiple Personality Disorder, 1989)
- Satanic Ritual Abuse - Principles of Treatment (1995)
- Bluebird: Deliberate Creation of Multiple Personality by Psychiatrist (2000)
- Schizophrenia: Innovations in Diagnosis and Treatment (2004)
- The CIA Doctors: Human Rights Violations By American Psychiatrists (2006) (About Project MKUltra)
- The Trauma Model - A solution to the Problem of Comorbidity In Psychiatry (2007)
- The Great Psychiatry Scam: One Shrink's Personal Journey (2008)
- Military Mind Control: A Story of Trauma and Recovery (2009)
- Trauma Model Therapy (2009)
- Human Energy Fields: A New Science of Medicine (2011)
- The Rape of Eve (2014)
In addition he has published an extensive account of academic papers.
- Ross, Colin (2009). Trauma Model Therapy: A Treatment Approach for Trauma, Dissociation and Complex Comorbidity. Richardson, TX: Manitou Communications. ISBN 978-0-9821-851-2-4.[page needed][non-primary source needed]
- http://www.amazon.com/Colin-A.-Ross/e/B001HCV7VQ/[full citation needed]
- Search Results for author Ross CA on PubMed.