Professor Riordan taught English as a foreign language at Julius-Maximilians-Universitat Wurzburg in Germany (1982–84). He was Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer in German at Swansea University from 1986 to 1998.
In 2015, under his purview as Vice-Chancellor, Professor Riordan announced that Cardiff University would launch five new flagship research centres, each focusing on a world issue. These include resolving chronic diseases; the scarcity of water; the prevention of crime; studying big data; and creating smarter energy systems.
Research and publications
- Vice-President and Board member of Universities UK
- Board member of the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education
- Trustee, the Edge Foundation
- Member of UK NARIC Advisory Council
- Member of UCAS board of trustees
- Board member of the Equality Challenge Unit
- Chair, Universities UK International (UUKi)
- Member of the International Education Council sponsored by the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills
- Chair of the International Policy Network of Universities UK
In 2013 he became chair of Higher Education Wales, the body which represents the interests of Higher Education Institutions in Wales.
- "Cardiff University research centres to tackle major world issues". BBC. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
Sir Ivor Crewe
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Essex
|Vice-Chancellor of Cardiff University