Constructor (video game)
System 3 (re-released & HD)
|Designer(s)||Phil Thornton (English Version)|
|Genre(s)||Real-time strategy, Construction and management simulation|
Constructor is a 1997 video game released originally for MS-DOS personal computers, and later ported to the PlayStation, macOS and Microsoft Windows-native DirectX 3. It was developed by System 3 and published by Acclaim Entertainment.
In the game, packed with humorous undertones, the player controls a construction company in a map split between several estates, and must deal with other teams to win the game.
The player controls a construction company, and aim to drive the other players out of business. Using teams of workers and foremen, the player must build facilities to manufacture building materials (a sawmill, concrete works, etc.), in order to build houses (ranging from simple wooden cabins to large mansions) in which to house tenants who pay rent and thus fund the company, as well as producing new workers, tenants and other characters. Along the way, the player can build homes for undesirables such as gangsters and hippies, who work to undermine the enemy.
Constructor's development was first revealed in a January 1991 issue of The One, where the player's role was described as "You play an architect on a planet subject to freak weather conditions. Like Jupiter it has a huge red spot which revolves every hundred years flattening everything in its path. While not being good news for most of the inhabitants of the planet it is very good news for you and your fellow architects ... From your sophisticated office console you control the planning and building of building of new properties and then attract the right sort of tenants to them." More information regarding Constructor was to be announced in the first quarter of 1992, but its development was delayed.
Fergus McGovern of Probe Entertainment said in 1997, "[Constructor] was a project that we'd been after for a long time, but it was originally with Warner. When they were going through some problems, we jumped in and snapped it up. We've been working on it ever since."
A HD version of Constructor was announced by System 3, on July 31, 2015, that the game would be getting a high-definition remaster. It was originally planned to be released on January 29, 2016, but has been repeatedly delayed six times. It was first delayed until April 29, 2016, then postponed to late summer 2016, January 31, 2017, February 28, 2017, April 28, 2017 with new projected date of May 26, 2017 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, with a Nintendo Switch version to release later in the year. The delays with the release were attributed to new features being added to enrich the gameplay, as the game development progressed.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2019)
Constructor II was announced in April 1998; it would have players visiting the wasteland of an alien planet. The sequel maintained the style of humor present in the original, bringing back a cast of characters from the first game. New characters based on the alien theme were also added, including the Alien Egg which impregnates victims, later causing their guts to explode. Constructor Space, which was previewed many years ago after the game was launched but was never completed. It was mentioned on June 29, 2016, as a possible sequel to Constructor if the HD re-release was successful.
Mob Rule (known as Constructor: Street Wars or Street Wars: Constructor Underworld in some regions) was released in 1999, but failed to achieve the same success of the first game.
- Staff (October 3, 1997). "Now Shipping". PC Gamer. Archived from the original on February 18, 1998. Retrieved December 5, 2019.
"Acclaim's Constructor hits the stores today..."
- "Constructor HD Announcement". System3. Archived from the original on August 4, 2015. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Constructor HD pushed back to 2017". videogamer. Archived from the original on August 28, 2016. Retrieved August 25, 2016.
- "Systematic Software: Under Construction". The One. No. 28. emap Images. January 1991. p. 22.
- Rider, David; Semrad, Ed (April 1997). "Probe Has the Games to Bring Acclaim Back to Life!". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 93. Ziff Davis. p. 88.
- "'Heads-Up' PlayStation Store Update". PlayStationBlog. Archived from the original on January 29, 2012. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- "Constructor, California Games being re-mastered for tablets in 2013". VG24/7. Archived from the original on April 7, 2013. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Syberia 3, Valhalla Hills, Constructor HD and Vikings: Wolves of Midgard Release Date Announced". gametransfers. Archived from the original on January 5, 2017. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Constructor HD: Still under Construction…". System3. Archived from the original on June 12, 2016. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "Why System 3 is rebuilding Constructor". MCV. Retrieved June 29, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Jones, Gareth (August 1997). "Constructor". PC PowerPlay (15). 58, 59.
- "Bricks in space". PC Zone (62): 15. April 1998. ISSN 0967-8220. OCLC 173325816.