Constructor (video game)
System 3 (re-released & HD)
|Designer(s)||Phil Thornton (English Version)|
|Genre(s)||Real-time strategy, Construction and management simulation|
Constructor is a 1997 video game released originally for MS-DOS Personal Computers, and later ported to the PlayStation, Mac OS and Windows-native DirectX 3. It was developed by System 3 and published by Acclaim.
In the game, packed with humorous undertones, the player controls a construction company in a map split between several estates, and must deal with other teams to win the game.
The player controls a construction company, and aim to drive the other players out of business. Using teams of workers and foremen, the player must build facilities to manufacture building materials (a sawmill, concrete works, etc.), in order to build houses (ranging from simple wooden cabins to large mansions) in which to house tenants who pay rent and thus fund the company, as well as producing new workers, tenants and other characters. Along the way, the player can build homes for undesirables such as gangsters and hippies, who work to undermine the enemy.
Constructor HD was announced by System 3, on July 31, 2015, that the game would be getting a high-definition remaster. It was originally planned to be released on the 29th of January 2016, but has being delayed three times. It was first delayed until 29th of April and then late summer 2016, before finally setting on the 31st of January 2017. As the game has progressed, new ideas have been added to enrich the gameplay.
Constructor II was announced in April 1998; it would have players visiting the wasteland of an alien planet. The sequel maintained the style of humor present in the original, bringing back a cast of characters from the first game. New characters based on the alien theme were also added, including the Alien Egg which impregnates victims, later causing their guts to explode. Constructor Space, which was previewed many years ago after the game was launched but it never happened. It was mentioned on June 29, 2016, as a possible sequel to Constructor HD, if successful.
- "Constructor HD gets January release date". MCV. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Constructor HD Announcement". System3. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Constructor HD pushed back to 2017". videogamer. Retrieved August 25, 2016.
- "'Heads-Up' PlayStation Store Update". PlayStationBlog. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- "Constructor, California Games being re-mastered for tablets in 2013". VG24/7. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Constructor HD: Still under Construction…". System3. Retrieved April 11, 2016.
- "Why System 3 is rebuilding Constructor". MCV. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- "Bricks in space". PC Zone (62): 15. April 1998. ISSN 0967-8220. OCLC 173325816.