Corporation for National Research Initiatives
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI), based in Reston, Virginia, is a non-profit organization founded in 1986 by Robert E. Kahn as an "activities center around strategic development of network-based information technologies", including the National Information Infrastructure (NII) in the United States.
CNRI publishes D-Lib Magazine, a journal of digital library research and development. It also develops the Handle System for managing and locating digital information. CNRI obtained DARPA funding for the development of JPython (Jython), a Python implementation in and for Java, initially created by Jim Hugunin.
In 1996, the Association of American Publishers announced that R.R. Bowker and the CNRI had been selected to design a Digital Object Identifier system. The effort was initiated after a year-long study of the need for a system to identify electronic copyright ownership and to manage the digital purchase of rights. The CNRI Handle system was first demonstrated at a February 1997 meeting of the Professional/Scholarly Publishing (PSP) division of the AAP meeting in Washington, DC. The Handle System is a technology specification for assigning, managing, and resolving persistent identifiers for digital objects and other resources on the Internet.
D-Lib Magazine is an on-line magazine dedicated to digital library research and development.
DO Repository and DO Registry
CNRI developed the Digital Object (DO) Repository software, with digital object architecture which provides a mechanism for the creation of, and access to, digital objects as discrete data structures with unique, resolvable identifiers.
Python releases 1.3 through 1.6, see Python License
- "About CNRI". Corporation for National Research Initiatives. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Handle.net - General FAQs". Handle.net. Corporation for National Research Initiatives. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Senior Advisory Board Member". Northern Virginia Technology Council. Retrieved 15 Apr 2014.
- Reid, Calvin (1996). "Bowker, CNRI to develop digital identifier system". Publishers Weekly (243(38) p.15).
- Simmonds, A.W. (1999). "The digital object identifier (DOI)". Publishing Research Quarterly (15(2), p. 10-13).
- "Digital Object (DO) Repository Software". Retrieved 15 Apr 2014.
|This article relating to library science or information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an IT-related or software-related company or corporation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|