Count Francis Lützow
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Franz Heinrich Hieronymus Valentin Graf von Lützow or Hrabe František Lützow or Count Francis Lützow (21 Mar 1849 Hamburg – 13 Jan 1916 Territet, Vaud, Switzerland) was a Bohemian (Czech) author, historian, critic and revivalist.
Hrabe František Lützow was the son of Franz Joseph Johann Nepomuk Gottfried von Lützow and Henriette Seymour. He was educated at Vienna and Innsbruck and followed a diplomatic career. He was active in Bohemian politics and became a member of the Austrian parliament and Chamberlain to the Emperor Franz Joseph from 1881. He married Anna Gustava von Bornemann (6 Jan 1853 Paris – 18 Apr 1932 London) on 18 Jan 1881 in London.
A tireless champion of Bohemian independence from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, he was a member of the Royal Society of Sciences in Bohemia, and of the Bohemian Academy.
He was Ilchester lecturer at Oxford (1904), and in 1912 lectured at American universities.
Perhaps his greatest accomplishments are his various books regarding the history of Bohemia, Prague, Slavic poetry, Historiography and Literature. His works were intentionally written in the English language and were thus more easily accessible to Western decision-makers who would eventually agree to the formation of an independent Czechoslovakia after the end of World War I. The first president of Czechoslovakia, Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk wrote a touching introduction to Lützow's 1939 edition of 'Bohemia, An Historical Sketch' and expressed gratitude for Lützow's various contributions to Czechoslovakia's independence.
- History of Bohemian Literature, Heinemann. London (1899); (2nd ed. April 1907)
- Prague, in “Mediæval Town” series (1901)
- The Story of Prague J. M. Dent & Co. London 1902; 2nd ed. 1907.
- Lectures on the Historians of Bohemia 1905 London: Henry Frowde.
- Life and Times of Master John Hus (1909) E.P. Dutton & Co. London 1909; (2nd ed. 1929)
- Bohemia An Historical Sketch J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd. London 1896; 2nd ed. 1910; 3rd ed. 1939.
- The Hussite Wars (1914) London: J. M. Dent & Sons New York
- (alternative spellings [Ger] Count Franz Von Lützow, [Eng] Count Francis von Lutzow, [Czech] Hrabe Frantisek Lützow)
- "Lützow genealogy". patricus.info. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Rines, George Edwin, ed. (1920). "Lützow, Franz Heinrich Valentin, Count". Encyclopedia Americana.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Count Francis Lützow