|Birth name||Craig Harris Carton|
January 31, 1969 |
New Rochelle, New York, U.S.
|Show||Boomer and Carton in the Morning|
|Station(s)||WFAN, New York City|
|Time slot||6 a.m. - 10 a.m., Monday-Friday|
|Previous show(s)||The Jersey Guys
|Children||Mickey, Sonny, Lucky, Anthony|
Boomer and Carton in the Morning Homepage
Craig Harris Carton (born January 31, 1969) is an American radio personality who currently co-hosts the Boomer and Carton in the Morning radio program.
Craig Harris Carton was born on January 31, 1969 in New Rochelle, New York. While in his teens, he was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome. He graduated from New Rochelle High School and S.I. Newhouse School at Syracuse University with a degree in broadcast journalism in 1991. He was also a member of the Pi chapter of Psi Upsilon fraternity during his time at Syracuse University. He is the co-host of Boomer and Carton in the Morning on WFAN in New York.
While in school he worked on the cable television show Views From the Bridge.
On June 4, 2013 his first book, Loudmouth: Tales (and Fantasies) of Sports, Sex, and Salvation from Behind the Microphone, was released.
Carton began his broadcasting career in 1991 at WGR Radio in Buffalo, New York. He moved from Buffalo to WWWE in Cleveland, Ohio in 1992, and later to 610-WIP in Philadelphia. He was a brash weekend host known as "The Kid". He had filled in on WIP's Morning Show and was familiar with the Sports Talk/Guy Talk format. He was the first person to break the news story that the Philadelphia Eagles had been sold to Hollywood producer Jeffrey Lurie.
Carton left the East Coast for Denver, Colorado, working mostly at KKFN 950 AM, "The Fan". His morning show took off immediately despite never getting along with the program director, Tim Spence. He was the highest rated host in the station's history which resulted in his being offered the morning slot on KBPI Radio. He quickly became the #1 rated local morning show in Denver radio. Eventually he resigned and left Denver to care for his wife, Kim, who was pregnant with their first child, a girl, named Mickey.
In late 2000, Carton became Scott Kaplan's replacement on WNEW's "Sports Guys" morning radio program in New York City. He was a "Sports Guy" for one year. He worked with Sid Rosenberg and Blain Ensley (and briefly with Eddie Ifft) and then just Ensley when Rosenberg left. Carton took the show in a new direction, adding stunts as an on-the-air cockfight and "Pastapalooza". Carton was also broadcasting live with Ensley on WNEW during the September 11th attacks in 2001.
In 2007, Carton departed for a morning opening at WFAN as Boomer Esiason's co-host when Esiason was hired as the permanent replacement for Imus in the Morning. One year after Esiason and Carton started the Boomer and Carton show, they reached #1 (Men 25-54) in the Arbitron Ratings, something that Don Imus had not achieved since 1993. The show was simulcast on MSG Network from September 14, 2010 until September 11, 2013. Starting in January 2014 the show has been simulcast on the CBS Sports Network.
On March 8, 2013, Carton and Esiason were the radio announcer and color analyst, respectively, for the Brooklyn Nets' game against the Washington Wizards.
Controversy and stunts
- On February 28, 1997, Carton reported Philadelphia Flyers captain Eric Lindros had missed a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on February 15 due to being hung over, claiming the excuse the Flyers gave (a sore back) for Lindros missing the game was a cover-up. The Flyers immediately sued WIP, resulting in an out of court settlement. Four years later Flyers General Manager Bobby Clarke admitted the story was accurate to a group of reporters. Two years after that Flyers owner and Chairman, Ed Snider, also went public to announce that the story was true. Carton has never commented on the story since he was vindicated other than saying as he did from day one that he trusted his sources and knew the story was accurate.
New Jersey 101.5
- In 2005, Carton became embroiled with an on the air feud with the then Governor of New Jersey, Richard Codey. Carton made comments about Codey's wife Mary-Jo's battle with postpartum depression prompting Codey himself to confront Carton in the studio. Carton would say "What Governor Codey ought to do is approve the use of medical marijuana so women can have a joint and relax instead of putting their babies in a microwave. Then all they want to do is cook Doritos. Women who claim they suffer from this postpartum depression ... they must be crazy in the first place." Codey would go back to respond: "I wish I weren't governor, I'd take you out", but did not say he would challenge Carton to a fight.
- Also in 2005, Carton and his co-host Ray Rossi made numerous hostile and racist remarks directed towards then Edison mayoral candidate, Jun Choi, as well as the Korean, Chinese and Indian populations of the Edison area.
- In 2007 he was confronted by a Polish Holocaust survivor Paweł Zenon Woś, for propagating anti-Polish stereotypes.
- On January 18, 2008, Carton walked the Brooklyn Bridge holding a sign reading "Any Given Sunday." and wearing only a Speedo and New York Giants tight-end Jeremy Shockey jersey after betting the New York Giants would lose to the Dallas Cowboys in the 2008 NFL playoffs. He duplicated the stunt on January 8, 2010, after betting the New York Jets would miss the playoffs.
- On May 28, 2013, the prologue to his book 'Loudmouth' leaked. It begins with the second Brooklyn Bridge walk and it is rough on his 'petty' co-workers Mike Francesa and Joe Benigno: "Joe [Benigno] had gone out of his way to be an asshole to us (Boomer & Carton) when we first started. Joe attacked because he thought he would ingratiate himself to Mike Francesa, the longtime afternoon show host who also, by his own admission, went out of his way to try to prevent us from being successful. In reality, Mike didn't give a shit what Joe thought, but he certainly cared about how the station was reacting to us..." 
- On November 3, 2014, Mike Francesa declared that Boomer & Carton were "jealous of him." The following day, on air, Carton and Boomer Esiason launched into an unprecedented on air counter attack of their colleague that included revelations of his true ratings, further confirmation that he called for Loyalty Oaths for Jewish callers in the wake of the September 11 attacks, and an onslaught of sleeping on the job jabs. 
- Talkers Magazine named him the 2nd most important and influential Sports Talk Show Hosts in America every year they have released their Heavy Hundred Sports Talk Show List. Craig has also been listed as one of the top 40 Most Important and Influential Talk Show hosts in the Country for ten straight years.
- PoliticsNJ.com named him the 9th-most politically influential personality in the State of New Jersey (2007).
He won the Pulse of the People Award 5 times (2008, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2014).
- "WFAN Radio personality Craig Carton joins NJCTS leadership as honorary board member ", www.nj.com, February 27, 2013.
- WFAN.com wfan.com
- "Craig Carton wrote a book and they're publishing it". Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Support Craig Carton's 1st Annual Strike Out Tourettes Bowling Event". Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- News story CBSNews.com
- Books books.google.com
- Mallozzi, Vincent M. (September 12, 2010). "WFAN's Craig Carton Gets Ready for MSG Network". The New York Times.
- "Boomer & Carton 'Joining' CBS Sports Network in Simulcast Form". BobsBlitz.com. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- spike.com-Craig Carton
- Devils Keep Zooming Ahead, Hoping to Pass Flyers - New York Times query.nytimes.com
- Article northjersey.com
- Can’t Stop The Bleeding » NJ Governor Defends Wife’s Microwave Contemplation cantstopthebleeding.com
- "Case Studies: What Happens When Shock Jocks Go Too Far?". www.pbs.org.
- "Protest przeciwko zniesławianiu", (retrieved February 19, 2013)
- Vacchiano, Ralph (2008-01-16). "The whole world's going nuts over Giants-Packers". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- Boyle, Christina (2008-01-19). "WFAN host Craig Carton's long march after losing bet with Boomer Esiason". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2008-02-23.
- Radio Host Baring All for Jets
- Bob's Blitz (2013-05-28). "Exclusive: Here's the Entire Explosive Prologue to Craig Carton's book 'Loudmouth'". BobsBlitz.com. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Bob's Blitz (2014-11-05). "Mike Francesa: Boomer & Carton are Jealous of Me - Craig Responds w/ 'Take a Loyalty Oath'". BobsBlitz.com. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Boomer Esiason, Craig Carton to Host Morning Drive on WFAN-AM in New York All American Patriots
- PoliticsNJ.com Power List 2007 Politicker NJ