|Craig "Sawman" Sawyer|
|Born||1963 (age 53–54)|
|Known for||Former Navy SEAL, Technical advisor|
Craig R. "Sawman" Sawyer (born 1963) is a Marine veteran, former Navy SEAL, sniper, combat instructor. Sawyer is the owner of Tactical Insider, which brings technical advice on weapons and combat to Hollywood films and actors.
Sawyer began his military career with the U.S. Marine Corps, but switched to the U.S. Navy to pursue a career in special operations as a Navy SEAL graduating from the Basic Underwater Demolition (BUD)/Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) training class 149 and serving in SEAL Team ONE. He then went on to the Naval Special Warfare Development Group. Throughout his career, Sawyer has become an expert in several military and combat disciplines like shooting; counter-terrorism; surveillance and counter-surveillance; climbing; criminal investigation; parachuting; and hand-to-hand combat, among others.
Sawyer founded Tactical Insider to provide training and technical advice to films, actors, and corporate clients. He has contributed to news shows like FOX News and CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. He has also been a frequent contributor to History Channel's show Sniper: Deadliest Missions. Since 2010, Sawyer has been a recurring trainer for History's marksmen competition Top Shot, appearing in all five seasons. In 2013, Craig lead a team of fellow spec ops veterans on a series of tactical missions against rhino poachers in Africa. These missions were filmed and aired on Animal Planet's series, Battleground: Rhino Wars.
Sawyer founded Vets For Child Rescue (V4CR) in April of 2017 to help create a non-permissive environment for child trafficking in the United States and began production on a documentary feature length film to highlight the challenges and efforts of law enforcement and veterans in the fight to end the exploitation of children.
- Flora, Chris (23 July 2014). "Craig Sawyer: From the military to the big screen". Tucson Explorer.
- Flora, Chris (20 March 2013). "Oro Valley veteran stars on Animal Planet’s “Rhino Wars” show". Tucson Explorer.
- Three Perfect Strikes: Inside the Rescue of Captain Phillips on FOX News (April 14, 2009)
- Rauf, Don (6 November 2012). Top Shot. Penguin Publishing Group. p. 20. ISBN 978-1-101-60878-4.
- Reeder, David (21 January 2014). "Craig Sawman Sawyer – Armasight, SWORD, Rhino Wars and the 14.9 SOP cartridge". Recoil.
- Craig Sawyer: Maximum Warrior on Maxim