Culley C. Carson III
Culley Clyde Carson III
|Born||1945 (age 73–74)|
George Washington University School of Medicine
|Institutions||University of North Carolina|
Culley Clyde Carson III (born 1945) is an American retired urologist who specializes in Peyronie's disease, penile prostheses and erectile dysfunction. After serving two years as a flight surgeon with the United States Air Force, he took on a urology residency at the Mayo Clinic and then taught at the Duke University Medical Center as an assistant professor, subsequently gaining full professorship.
He was later named John Sloan Rhodes and John Flint Rhodes Distinguished Professor within the Department of Urology at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. Upon his retirement, he was granted emeritus status.
Education and career
Culley Clyde Carson III was born on February 1945 in Westerly, Rhode Island. After graduating from Trinity College in Connecticut, he studied at the George Washington University School of Medicine, where he received the Calvin Klopp Award for outstanding research. He then began his residency at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. Carson then served two years as a flight surgeon with the United States Air Force (USAF), after which he took on a urology residency and fellowship at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minnesota. Carson began his teaching career at the Duke University Medical Center, as an assistant professor. He was subsequently promoted to full professor, and left for the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, where he was later named John Sloan Rhodes and John Flint Rhodes Distinguished Professor within the Department of Urology. Carson was chief of the department between 1993 and 2010. Upon his retirement, he was granted emeritus status.
He has authored over 300 peer-reviewed articles and edited more than eight textbooks. He is the founding editor-in-chief of the Sexual Medicine Reviews journal and served through April 2014. Carson has been chief editor of Contemporary Urology and is an associate editor of Trends in Urology and Men's Health.
In the third edition of his textbook Men's Health, ten years after the first edition. when he and his colleagues questioned why men die on average five years earlier than women, they attempt to address the gender gap and provide practical advice to general physicians and specialists.
Honors and awards
In 1974, he became USAF Flight Surgeon of the Year. In 2000, he was awarded the Royal Society of Medicine's book prize for his textbook Erectile Dysfunction, and in 2001 he won the Jesse H. Neal Award for editorial writing.
In 2011 Carson was awarded the Distinguished Contributor Award by the American Urological Association, of which he has been an active member, and the following year received their Brantley Scott Award.
He is a fellow of the Sexual Medicine Society of North America and was their past president in 2003. In 2014, he received their Lifetime Achievement Award and in the same year, he was awarded the St. Paul's Medal from the Council of the British Association of Urological Surgeons. In 2015, the Massachusetts Medical Society awarded Carson its Men's Health Award. He has also held presidencies of the Society of University Urologists and the American Society for Men's Health.
- Endourology. Churchill Livingstone (1985). ISBN 9780443083679. With N. Reed Dunnick
- Textbook of Erectile Dysfunction. Taylor & Francis (1999). With Irwin Goldstein and Roger S. Kirby
- Urologic Prostheses: The Complete Practical Guide to Devices, Their Implantation and Patient Follow Up. Springer Science + Business Media (2002). ISBN 978-1-61737-242-1
- Key Clinical Trials in Erectile Dysfunction. Springer (2007). ISBN 978-1-84628-428-1.
- Management of Erectile Dysfunction in Clinical Practice. Springer (2007). ISBN 978-1-84628-399-4
- Men's Health. Routledge, London (2009). (3rd Edition). ISBN 9780415447331. Co-edited with Roger Kirby, Michael Kirby and Adrian White
- Surgery for "Stuttering Priapism". The Journal of Urology. Vol. 181, Issue 2 (1 February 2009), pp. 449-450. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2008.11.052
- "Surgical Techniques: Penile Prosthesis for Cylinder Tip Malposition". The Journal of Sexual Medicine. Vol. 6, Issue 9 (September 2009). doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01443.x
- "Government Regulation Can Be Helpful". Sexual Medicine Reviews. Vol. 2, Issue 2 (April 2014), pp. 57-58. PMID 27784589 doi:10.1002/smrj.22
- "Outcomes of surgical treatment of Peyronie's disease". British Journal of Urology International. Vol. 113, No. 5 (May 2014)), pp. 704-13. Co-authored with L. A. Levine. doi:10.1111/bju.12565.
- "Analysis of the clinical safety of intralesional injection of collagenase Clostridium histolyticum (CCH) for adults with Peyronie's disease (PD).". British Journal of Urology International. Vol. 116, No. 5 (November 2015), pp. 815-822. doi:10.1111/bju.13120. (Carson et al.)
- Profile Detail - Cully Carson. Marquis Who's Who.
- "Culley Carson III". PracticeUpdate. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Culley C. Carson III". www.longdom.org. Longdom Publishing. ISSN 2167-0250. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Culley C. Carson III, MD". Department of Urology University of North Carolina. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Carson, Culley C. (May 2013). "Why Sexual Medicine Reviews?". Sexual Medicine Reviews. 1 (1): 1–2. doi:10.1002/smrj.6. PMID 27784555.
- Carson, Culley C. (April 2014). "Government Regulation Can Be Helpful". Sexual Medicine Reviews. 2 (2): 57–58. doi:10.1002/smrj.22.
- Langston, Joshua P.; Carson, Culley C. (August 2014). "Peyronie's disease: review and recent advances". Maturitas. 78 (4): 341–343. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.05.024. ISSN 1873-4111. PMID 24984940.
- Wilson1, S. K., Delk II, J. R. Historical advances in penile prostheses. International Journal of Impotence Research. www.nature.com. Vol. 12, Supplement 4 (2000), pp. S101-S107.
- Pollack, Andrew (2012-06-03). "Treatment for Peyronie's Disease Shows Promise". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 16 November 2019.(subscription required)
- Haller, Madeline (14 June 2012). "Is Your Penis Curving?". Men's Health. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Vann, Madeline R. (4 November 2019). "What Is Peyronie's Disease". EverydayHealth.com. Retrieved 21 November 2019.
- Kirby, Roger S.; Carson, Culley C.; Kirby, Michael G.; White, Alan (2009). "Preface". Men's Health. CRC Press. pp. xviii. ISBN 9780415447331.
- Carson, Culley C.; Dean, John D. (2007). Management of Erectile Dysfunction in Clinical Practice. Springer Science & Business Media. ISBN 978-1-84628-399-4.
- "Massachusetts Medical Society to Honor Culley C. Carson III, MD, with Men's Health Award". Department of Urology University of North Carolina. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "SMSNA - Past Presidents". www.smsna.org. Retrieved 15 November 2019.