Cyril Walter Dumpleton JP (25 June 1897 – 1 October 1966) was a British Labour Party politician who served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the St Albans division of Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1950.
Early life and family
At the 1945 general election he was elected to the House of Commons as the MP for St Albans, defeating the sitting Conservative MP John Grimston. St Albans had been a Conservative seat since 1885, apart from a two-year period 1904 to 1906, and at the last contested election in 1935 the Conservative majority had been 35%. The 1935 and 1945 results were not directly comparable, because the Liberal Party contested the seat in 1945 but not 1935; but Dumpleton's 3.7% majority was vulnerable, and he was defeated at the 1950 general election, when Grimston re-took the seat with a majority of 4.5%.
After his defeat, Dumpleton did not stand for Parliament again. He worked as a public relations executive with the Colonial Development Corporation from 1950 to 1962, and died at Dawlish in Devon in 1966, aged 69.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Stenton, Michael; Lees, Stephens (1981). Who's Who of British Members of Parliament: Volume IV, 1945–1979. Brighton: The Harvester Press. p. 100. ISBN 0-85527-335-6.
- "no. 37238". The London Gazette. 24 August 1945. p. 4291. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 375. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- "The Defeated: Clean Sweep At Colonial Office". 25 February 1950. p. 23.
- "UK General Election results February 1950". Richard Kimber's political science resources. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- Obituaries: Mr. C. W. Dumpleton, The Times, Thursday 6 October 1966, page 14
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Cyril Walter Dumpleton
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for St Albans
1945 – 1950