|Founders||Robert Dekeyser, Florian Hoffmann|
|Focus||Education, Development Projects|
|Headquarters||Shanghaiallee 9, 20457 Hamburg, Germany|
|Method||Donations, Grants, Volunteering|
The D&F Academy was an educational institution, located in Hamburg, Germany, which offered one-year educational programs in the areas of global issues, arts & culture and sports to young adults from around the globe between 18 and 28.
The D&F Academy was launched by the Dekeyser&Friends Foundation in 2009 with the aim of creating a platform where successful personalities could pass on their knowledge and experience to young people from around the world in interactive learning projects. Every year the foundation allocates up to 1,2 Mio. euros for educational projects.
In 2009 the D&F Academy created its program with the support of experts advising the launch. The first pilot projects took place in Germany and Turkey, respectively; the following projects in 2010 in the Philippines as well as a Media Project, which took place across three continents. In 2011, the D&F Academy opened its representation in Hamburg, Germany. Two projects took place in Hamburg and in upstate New York. With its first regional location opened in Hamburg, Germany, the D&F Academy launched its so-called DreamMaker program in 2012. The first three project partners in 2012 include the British primatologist Dr. Jane Goodall DBE, Germany’s former national goalkeeper Jens Lehmann as well as conductor Christoph Poppen.
In June 2013 the D&F Academy was restructured and became The DO School. The DO School is an independent educational organization (gGmbH) which is based on the successful aspects of the D&F Academy, though with a greater focus on social entrepreneurship education.
The D&F Academy offered a “new kind of education” where experienced personalities could pass on their knowledge to a group of young people, motivate and support them to turn their venture ideas into reality.
The D&F Academy brought together one mentor (Friends) and up to 20 students (Fellows) per project in experiential educational programs. Friends are leading personalities from different areas such as arts and culture, sports, business, and politics, who want to give back and pass on their knowledge and experience to the young people. The fellows are young adults aged 18 to 28 from around the world and all social classes. Each year the educational initiative organizes three projects.
The projects comprised a 10-week Challenge Phase and a 10-month Implementation Phase. In the Challenge Phase, the fellows worked on a challenge in Hamburg, given to them by their mentor, and prepared their venture ideas through the participation in the D&F start-up program. In the following ten months, the students implemented their sustainable social or ecological start-up plans in their home countries.
Current and past projects
|Museum Project||09/2009–11/2009||Schliersee, Germany||13||Markus Wasmeier: Painter, conservator, alpine ski medalist, owner of the Farmhouse Museum Schliersee|
|Dance Project||10/2009–12/2009||Istanbul, Turkey||13||Mustafa Erdogan: General Art Director, choreographer|
|Rehousing Project||04/2010-09/2010||Cebu, Philippines||16||Heinz Kulüke: Philosopher, social worker, founder of the NGO JIP-IDC|
|Media Project||04/2010-08/2010||Cebu, Philippines/ Manila, Philippines/ Zurich, Switzerland/ Geneva, Switzerland/ Schliersee, Germany/ London, England||1||Matthias Zuber/ Björn Hering: Director of cinema and TV documentaries/ lecturer at film schools Award-winning TV host and producer|
|Culinary Project||08/2011-11/2011||Hamburg, Germany||5||Tim Mälzer: Chef, TV cook|
|Teaching Project||08/2011-11/2011||New York City, United States||15||Sam Ross: Founder of Green Chimneys|
|Engage in Conservation Project||01/2012-01/2013||Hamburg, Germany||13||Jane Goodall: Founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace|
|Sports Coaching Project||04/2012-04/2013||Hamburg, Germany||15||Jens Lehmann: Former soccer player|
|Music Project||09/2012-10/2013||Hamburg, Germany||16||Christoph Poppen: Conductor|
In each project the students had to accomplish an interactive task during the project, the so-called "Challenge".
- Museum Project:
Restoring a 17th-century farmhouse in the German Alps utilizing original materials, traditional tools, wood-crafting and handicraft techniques.
- Dance Project:
- Rehousing Project:
Learning about community building, as well as constructing a facility to initiate the rehousing of a community of scavenger families who currently live on a dumpside.
- Media Project:
Traveling the world to meet the Fellows of the D&F Academy, Friends and other people in search of stories. Sharing experiences in a bi-weekly IPTV show hosted on YouTube, iTunes, and on the D&F World.
- Culinary Project:
Creating a multimedia online food portal with the aim to inspire other young people around the world to care about what they eat. www.goodfoodgood.com
- Teaching Project:
Planning and building an intercultural learning center on the Green Chimneys campus.
- Engage in Conversation Project:
Developing a youth engagement project that will combine fieldwork and online elements.
- Sports Coaching Project:
- Music Project:
Creating a Music Camp Day in Hamburg with youth groups.
- Emich, Robert: 'Der menschliche Faktor' ('The Human Factor'). In: VOGUE Deutschland, June 2012, p. 206-219
- MISSION | Dekeyser & Friends FoundationDekeyser & Friends Foundation Archived 2012-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Rammin, Claudia: 'Seine beste Parade' ('His Best Parade'). In: Enorm. 2012. Archived 2013-11-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "Learning for the 21st century | dekeyserandfriends.org". Dfacademy.org. Archived from the original on 2012-10-27. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "MISSION | Dekeyser & Friends FoundationDekeyser & Friends Foundation". Dekeyserandfriends.org. Archived from the original on 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- Lutz, Juliane: 'Zieh dein Ding durch' ('Do your thing'). (Interview with Robert Dekeyser) In: Süddeutsche Zeitung Deutschland, July 31, 2010, p. V2/11
- Morgenthaler, Mathias: 'Ich liebe Krisen, weil sie Energie freisetzen' ('I love crisis, because they release energy') (interview with Robert Dekeyser). In: 'Der Bund', June 7, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Krug, Christian: 'Ich habe keine Ahnung von irgendwas' ('I have no idea of anything'). In: Lufthansa Magazin Deutschland, June 2012, p. 62-68
- Tönnesmann, Jens: 'Gefühl statt Kalkül' ('Sensation instead of Calculation'). In: Die Zeit, February 14, 2012 Archived October 4, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Tönnesmann, Jens: 'Gefühl statt Kalkül' ('Furniture-maker Bobby Dekeyser: Sensation instead of Calculation'). In: Die Zeit, February 14, 2012
- Brenner, Beatrice: 'Ich habe weder ein eigenes Büro, noch eine Sekretärin' ('I have neither a own office, nor a secretary') (Interview with Robert Dekeyser)". In: io new management, February 19, 2010
- "Our Method | dekeyserandfriends.org". Dfacademy.org. Archived from the original on 2012-04-22. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "DreamMaker Program | dekeyserandfriends.org". Dfacademy.org. Archived from the original on 2012-04-22. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "Our fantastic past projects! | dekeyserandfriends.org". Dfacademy.org. Archived from the original on 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- http://dfacademy.org/sites/default/files/Downloads/DAF_Magazin_EN.pdf[permanent dead link] Dekeyser&Friends Foundation (2010): And What Inspires You. (Magazine). Switzerland.
- Rösl, Armin: 'Wasis globales Bauernhaus' ('Wasi's global farmhouse'). In: Münchner Merkur Deutschland, October 19, 2009, p. 3.
- Krücken, Stefan: 'Kindheit im Dreck'. (Report) In: Sonntagsblick Magazin Deutschland, p. 28-36[permanent dead link]