|Initial release||July 9, 2008|
|Written in||Visual Basic .NET, C#|
|Operating system||Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Available in||English, Brazilian Portuguese|
|Type||Chemical process modeling|
|License||GNU General Public License/GNU Lesser General Public License (Windows/Linux/macOS), Freemium (Android/iOS)|
DWSIM is an open-source CAPE-OPEN compliant chemical process simulator for Windows, Linux and macOS. DWSIM is built on top of the Microsoft .NET and Mono Platforms and features a Graphical User Interface (GUI), advanced thermodynamics calculations, reactions support and petroleum characterization / hypothetical component generation tools.
DWSIM is able to simulate steady-state, vapor–liquid, vapor–liquid-liquid, solid–liquid and aqueous electrolyte equilibrium processes with the following Thermodynamic Models and Unit Operations:
- Thermodynamic models: CoolProp, Peng–Robinson equation of state, Peng–Robinson-Strÿjek-Vera (PRSV2), Soave–Redlich–Kwong, Lee-Kesler, Lee-Kesler-Plöcker, UNIFAC(-LL), Modified UNIFAC (Dortmund), Modified UNIFAC (NIST), UNIQUAC, NRTL, Chao-Seader, Grayson-Streed, Extended UNIQUAC, Raoult's Law, IAPWS-IF97 Steam Tables, IAPWS-08 Seawater, Black-Oil and Sour Water;
- Unit operations: CAPE-OPEN Socket, Spreadsheet, Custom (IronPython Script), Mixer, Splitter, Separator, Pump, Compressor, Expander, Heater, Cooler, Valve, Pipe Segment, Shortcut Column, Heat exchanger, Reactors (Conversion, PFR, CSTR, Equilibrium and Gibbs), Distillation column, Simple, Refluxed and Reboiled Absorbers, Component Separator, Solids Separator, Continuous Cake Filter and Orifice plate;
- Utilities: Binary Data Regression, Phase Envelope, Natural Gas Hydrates, Pure Component Properties, True Critical Point, PSV Sizing, Vessel Sizing, Spreadsheet and Petroleum Cold Flow Properties;
- Tools: Hypothetical Component Generator, Bulk C7+/Distillation Curves Petroleum Characterization, Petroleum Assay Manager, Reactions Manager and Compound Creator;
- Process Analysis and Optimization: Sensitivity Analysis Utility, Multivariate Optimizer with bound constraints;
- Extras: Support for Runtime Python Scripts, Plugins and CAPE-OPEN Flowsheet Monitoring Objects.
Android and iOS versions
DWSIM is also available on Android and iOS mobile operating systems, where it is free to download. On these platforms, DWSIM includes a basic set of features while more advanced modules can be unlocked through in-app purchases.
Raspberry Pi version
Standalone Thermodynamics Library
DWSIM's Property and Equilibrium calculation routines are also available as a standalone, 100% managed .NET Dynamic Link Library (DLL). It can be linked against free and proprietary applications (LGPL v3 license).
- Process design (chemical engineering)
- List of Chemical Process Simulators
- Standard temperature and pressure
- DWSIM homepage - documentation, download links, tutorials, help and support for DWSIM.
- CO-LaN - the CAPE-OPEN Laboratories Network is a neutral industry and academic association promoting open interface standards in process simulation software. CO-LaN members are committed to making Computer Aided Process Engineering easier, faster and less expensive by achieving complete interoperability of compliant commercial CAPE software tools. CO-LaN supports and maintains the CAPE-OPEN interface standards.
- Medeiros, Daniel. "Version 6.5.3". SourceForge. Retrieved June 7, 2021.
- Medeiros, Daniel. "Version History". Apple App Store. Retrieved June 7, 2021.
- Medeiros, Daniel. "DWSIM Simulator". Google Play. Retrieved June 7, 2021.
- Medeiros, Daniel. "DWSIM Features by Platform", DWSIM Wiki, Retrieved on 14 October 2016.
- Medeiros, Daniel. "DWSIM now available for Raspberry Pi 2/3 devices", LinkedIn Post, Retrieved on 05 December 2017.
- Medeiros, Daniel. "DWSIM Thermodynamics Library", DWSIM Wiki, Retrieved on 20 June 2012.